Chapter Five

Raina's POV

The following morning, we boarded carriages, Tearl and I shared one carriage as the Emperor had his own and his armour wearing friend was on feathered horse-like creature, riding alongside the carriages. And trailing behind and alongside the carriages were the palace servants and guards. During the ride, I could not shake my nerves on the outcome of it all. I mean, I never got the chance to talk with the Emperor, to discuss the situation and explain to me, what may our or should say, what would be my outcome.

Marriage or no marriage?

But if I marry him, I will become an Empress and his handsome, shaking my head from that thought. I should not think like that. The plan was to go to the Capital and see an Omen who can help find a way back to Earth. Royal lifestyle does not always seem the best, but it has a luxurious lifestyle. Not again... Shook my head again, leaned towards the window, pushed the corner of the curtain and peeked in crack opening.

So far, it looked like we were still in the Humming Forest path heading to the Capital. My gaze was on the armour wearing friend, as he was close to the Emperor's golden carriage. It looked like they were talking or was the Emperor barking orders? I could not tell, and I did not care, as my eyes were on the long ponytail hair of the guy. His hair was not fully black as I could see a bit of brown—he had dark brown hair and with smoky black armour, he looked cute.

"Hey Tearl?" I called out, keeping my gaze out the window. "Who do you think that armour wearing guy is?"

She crooned as she thought to herself, "I think it's General So Zu, the cursed Emperor's trust friend and General..." She said.

I glanced at her, "General So Zu?" I murmured then peeked through the crack and it seemed he and they finished talking as he was turning his feathered horse-like creature away from the carriage. "He looks young... In fact, the Emperor looks young to be in their positions. How old are they?" I turned my gaze back at Tearl.

"Well, Emperor Rai was seven years of age when his father passed away and he came into power. Now he is twenty-one years old and General So Zu was sixteen when given General title, now he should be around twenty-two years old."

"How do you know these things? I mean, you don't have internet?" I gaped.

She laughed lightly, "people talk, especially women."

"Wow..." I leaned back, word-of-mouth gossip sure spreads fast like fire even without the help of internet adding more fuel in the flames.

"Raina..."

"Yes?"

"... What is in-ter-net?"

Slowly turning my head to her, "trust me when I tell you, 'you don't want to know'. Cause you just don't want to know." I turned my gaze away from her. There was silence once again... "But I am missing it right now."

I do not how or when did I fell asleep, but I did and only realised it when Tearl had to wake me up, "Raina... We have reached the palace."

Opening my eyes, "what?" I muttered, rubbing the sleep from my eyes as take in my surrounds. We were still inside the carriage, but it was not moving. "What's going on?" I asked.

"We reached the palace. Tomorrow the Omens will hear your case, so, the guest wing is where we'll be staying," she said.

"Wait... Why tomorrow? Why not today!?"

"The Emperor had a meeting with some ministers, so..." She stopped when she saw my 'I'm buying it,' look on my face. "But we are in Grand Palace, ranked number one for being the biggest palace on the continent." She smiled warmly.

"Okay," I sighed, I cannot get mad at Tearl. Should be mad at the Emperor, "let's get out of this tiny carriage." Tearl was first to step out the carriage. As I stepped close to door, I lifted my head to look around and it looked quiet and neat with white walls all I could see. Jumping out, my feet landed on the grey marble ground.

A man dressed in a navy-blue coat approached us, he bowed his head once close, "greets guests, I am to take you to your wing." He said with a crack in his voice. Stilling bowing his head, he stepped back and aside, his hand showing the way.

"Huh... Thank you," both Tearl and I said.

As we about to walking direction we were being shown, someone yelled, "Mistress Maya approaches!" I turned my gaze to see a woman seated on a sedan chair, being carried to our direction. I felt a sharp pain on my arm, flinching, I glanced over to Tearl who was bowing and looking around, everyone around did the same and I did.

I listened out for the steps of the men that were carrying the sedan chair as they stopped, "you may raise your head." A gentle feminine voice spoke. Slowly I raised my head, and my gaze was on the woman who sat proudly high up as her smoky grey-rosy red gaze looked down at me. Her midnight black hair was high up, heavily decorated with rich coloured hairpins and ornaments, from colours like forest green, scarlet reds, ocean blues to silvers and gold. "Who are you?" She asked, her red painted lips did not smile nor frown—it was a straight line.

That's one way of talking to a guest, I said in my head and gave her smile. "I'm just a guest in the palace." I said, her eyes dragged me from top to bottom as she leaned back her chair.

"And do tell me, who invited you?"

A snigger escaped my lips, "the Emperor." Suddenly, she narrowed her gaze down at me like she was trying figure what was it.

Tension was in the air; I was not sure this lady on the seat was important or something. "Lady Shen Ava!" Suddenly, there was another person yelling, gazing over to a petite looking lady gracefully approached us. Everyone once again bowed and followed suit.

"Lady Shen Ava," the woman on the sedan chair said, slightly bowed her head.

"Mistress Han Maya, is something the matter?" The new person asked, she smiled warmly without looking up at Mistress Han Maya.

"Nothing, Lady Shen Ava. I was just greeting our guest," she said, I lifted my gaze up at her and I saw her place her hand on belly and there was a bump hidden beneath her clothing. "I'll be on my way, Lady Shen Ava," she bowed her head again and the men carrying her sedan chair began to slowly turn and walked back in the direction they from.

"You may lift your head," Lady Shen Ava said, still having a warm smile. "Apologize for Mistress Han Maya, she is with child."

I shook my head, "no you don't have to apologize or make any excuse for her. But thank you for saving from her." I said, looking at her, she looked innocent with her pale purple-lame green eyes and round face, and her long raven black down with a few hairpins. She wore a pale clear blue dress, embellished in simple floral embroidery around the collar.

She giggled, "you just have to make sure you stay clear from her when in the palace."

"Thank you for your advice."

She nods, "I must take my leave."

"Oh, right..." I quickly bowed as she turned on her heels, "thanks again!" I said again as she walked away. I turned my gaze back at Tearl, she was gaping in shock, "what?" I asked furrowing my brows in confusion.

"You need to work on your manners," she said.

Thinking back to what happened just minutes ago and I do not think I was rude in any way... "What did I do wrong?"

"I have to teach you basic etiquettes when it comes to conversing with a noble," she sighed.

I laughed and threw my arm around her shoulder, pulling her to my side, "you worry too much. Nothing bad happened when we talked to those nobles."

Rolling her eyes, "... Because Lady Shen Ava was kind and you're lucky."

"I don't think I'm lucky," shaking my head. "If I was lucky, we wouldn't be in this mess." I lift an eyebrow.

"You mean, you wouldn't be in this mess," she removed my arm from her shoulder and lifted an eyebrow, staring at me.

"Do you know what I think? I'm a bad influence on you," I pouted.

First day in the palace and I am causing trouble, this isn't looking right for me...