Chapter Forty-One

Raina's POV

"What?" I gasped, staring out into space. "Are... Are you sure?" I asked, glancing at You Rina.

"Doctor San is never wrong..." she said, sitting next to me.

Am I still asleep? I asked myself. My brows furrowed in confusion as my eyes widened. "But... But..." I muttered under my breath, slowly turning my gaze away from You Rina, and my head counted the days and months. Realisation hit me, my lips parted, and I whispered, "I'm pregnant."

You Rina squealed beside me and grabbed my hand. "Your Grace, Gai Bele has blessed you!" She exclaimed, lightly squeezing my hand. I turned my gaze over to her and I saw a wide grin on her face. "Now you don't have to worry about your title as Empress."

I nervously chuckled under her breath and shook my head 'no', dragged my hand away from her hold. "I..." My lips parted, wanting to say something, but I couldn't. Her eyes sparked in joy, and grinning ear to ear. I knew telling her I'm not excited about this pregnancy nor worried about the Empress title would ruin her day. So, I forced a smile and said, "yeah... this is... is good news."

She jumped to her feet, looking down at me, and grinned ear to ear. "Your Grace, do you need something from the kitchen? A drink? Snack?" She asked.

"Snow soup?"

"Huh... Sorry, Your Highness..." My eyes widened, feeling something worse about come out from her mouth. "Since you are with a child, you can't have snow soup."

"Why!?" I whined, pouting my lips. She shook her head 'no' and I asked, "how about a bit?"

"No." she folded her arms across her chest and shook her head 'no'. "As your handmaiden, it is my sworn duty to ensure your safety and your child. I will head to the kitchen and get you tea and cakes." She turned on her heels and walked out.

I'm pregnant and could not have my favourite snow soup, and I need a drink. However, I know I can't drink any alcohol. "Why is this happening to me?" I murmured under my breath, leaning back against my seat, and groaned loudly. My gaze lowered down to my flat lower abdomen, where a baby could be. How should I feel about this?

"Your Divine Highness," Jennie walked in. She bowed and said, "His Majesty, Emperor has requested an audience with you."

"Oh, right... I'm pregnant with his baby," I muttered and closed my eyes. A long sigh dragged out from me, wondering if I should let him in or continue to avoid him. Kai doesn't want his first child, and how would I know he would say the same things about this child, who I'm still coming to accept. "Please tell him, I don't want to see him." I said, turning my gaze away from her.

"Your Grace," a deep husky voice spoke, realising that was not Jennie's voice. I hesitantly turned my gaze to the entrance, and alone Kai stood, holding a wrapped box.

"Why are you here?" I asked, narrowing my gaze at him.

"Can I come in?" He asked. I turned my gaze away from him, staring out the window, and pouted my lips like a child. "Raina, I'm sorry about what I said. Please understand."

"Understand what?" I snapped my gaze at him, furrowing my brows.

There was silence between us, and he sighed, kneeling before me, and reached for my hand—wrapping his warm hands around them. "Ever since I was born, nothing more than mayhem happened to me and the surrounding people. My mother did things just for me to be in power, but my life in the palace was miserable. My father hated me and Grand Empress Dowager controlled me. Solhyun... His life is just for control and power, and I know Maya will use him."

"But hating him wouldn't change a thing. You're just going to repeat your father's mistakes back onto your own son. It's not his fault." I leaned forward, staring into his eyes. "As long as you're his father, you can ensure his safety." He lowered his head, but with my free hand, I cupped his jaw and lifted his head. "Promise me you would not repeat your father's mistake on your son. Please promise me."