Chapter Forty

The Divine Empress heavily panted, laying in bed with her eyes clenched shut and tight. She groaned sickly and exhaustion, turning to her side with her back facing her handmaidens. You Rina nervously bit her lower lip, pacing back and forth. Empress Raina groaned loudly, causing You Rina to stop and huffed.

"I can't do this!" Rina said, sighing heavily and turned on her heels. She was ready to storm out the room, but Jennie and Kat were in her way.

"Where are you going!?" Jennie asked, her eyes widened in shock and fear. She was both feared for her Empress health and feared going against their Empress. Empress Raina returned from Prince Wooha(h) Solhyun's celebration, feverish and sick. As much as everyone around her wants to call the doctor, but she refused and ordered them not to leave.

"Where do you think I'm going?" Rina asked, her voice rose in slight anger. "She is ill and needs a doctor."

"But she ordered us not to go," Kat said, stepping forward. She frowned her eyebrows and shook her head. "You know the rules and if you break them... Again... You will face punishment, removed from your position as handmaiden and thrown to hard labour until you paid your debt."

You Rina narrowed her gaze at Kat as she too narrowed her gaze at You Rina. Silence passed between them, and Kat stepped back. "I don't care," Rina muttered.

She walked between Jennie and Kat, heading straight for the door. "You are nothing more than a slave," Kat said in a low tone, but easily heard in the room. You Rina shook her head, ignoring Kat, and continued to storm out from the palace.

"You shouldn't have said that..." Jennie said, rolling her eyes to Kat. Kat stared blankly at Jennie, then rolled her eyes and turned herself, walking to Divine Empress.

Empress Raina groaned, tossing and turning, and Jennie huffed heavily. She turned on her heels, storming off to the palace kitchen. Later You Rina returned with Imperial Doctor San. As the doctor examined the Divine Empress Raina, the trio remained in silence.

Doctor San had Empress Raina sleep peacefully. Then he stepped aside from Her Highness' bed with a warm smile on his face. The trio of handmaidens looked at the doctor in confusion as he approached them. He bowed, and they bowed back at him in confusion and worry, "Her Grace is well." He said, then glanced over to the resting Empress.

He glanced back at them, leaned slightly in and whispered, "Her Grace is with child."

Their eyes widened and gasped in shock. They turned their gaze to each other, and slow smile graced their face. "Thank you, Doctor San," You Rina said, bowing her head to him.

"No need to thank me," he said, shaking his head. "Thank the goddess Gai Bele... You must inform Her Highness when she wakes, and Grand Empress Dowager and Emperor."

You Rina nods her head 'yes' with a warm smile, "thank you for coming. I shall inform Grand Empress Dowager and His Grace, Emperor." She turned her gaze to Jennie and Kat. They both bowed their heads before walking out, knowing they need to do it.

With Jennie and Kat gone, Doctor San turned to You Rina. "I will give you medication for Her Highness, help her calm her sickness and nerve. Please remember to make sure Her Highness rest and avoids stress. I will give a list of what she should eat and not eat, and you must pay close attention to her and surroundings."

"Of course... Thank you for coming."

Doctor San nods his head, strolling out. You Rina glanced over to Her Highness, "I am glad you are well..." She whispered.

Meanwhile, Kat heads to Grand Empress Dowager, "many blessings, Grand Empress Dowager." Kat said, kneeling and bowing her head to Grand Empress Dowager.

Grand Empress Dowager's gaze was elsewhere, ignoring the handmaiden and with her teacup in hand. Court Lady Rin noticed Her Highness unbothered mood, especially the event that occurred today. "Handmaiden, what during you here?" Court Lady Rin asked, offering a warm smile while Kat stayed kneeling.

Kat took a long deep breath, smiling and said, "I come with good news..." Grand Empress Dowager remained silent, rolled her eyes, thinking it was about the celebration, and taking a sip of her tea. "Her Divine Empress is with child," Kat said, bowing her head as she told Grand Empress Dowager the good news.

Court Lady Rin gasped under her breath as her eyes widened and glanced over to Grand Empress Dowager. Grand Empress Dowager's eyes sparkled, slowly turning her gaze over to Kat. "What did you say?" She asked.

"Her Highness, Divine Empress, is with child," Kat said.

She nods her head as a smirk grew on her lips, then glanced over to Court Lady Rin. "Please send some gifts to the expecting mother and give her my congratulation. How she is?"

"Her Grace was ill, but Imperial Doctor San treated her, and she is resting."

"You must take your leave and ensure Her Highness is well." Kat bowed to Grand Empress Dowager, thanking her under her breath as she rose back onto her feet, stepping back, and walked out.

Once the handmaiden left the room, Grand Empress Dowager placed her teacup away and glanced over at Court Lady Rin. "Now this is a wonderful surprise for Han Maya..." She said, smirking.

"Well... We discovered Imperial Noble Consort's sinful herb before Divine Empress intake." Court Lady Rin said.

Grand Empress Dowager chuckled, "we are in a danger zone now and we must increase the Divine Empress' security." Court Lady Rin nods her head.