Chapter Twelve

Raina's POV

Emperor looked rigid in the presence of Grand Empress Dowager, then icy towards Empress Dowager. Potholes after potholes, palace drama, and I am debating about finding out the whole about the Emperor's back story. But I had watched so many TV series drama and movies about palace life, and finding could end changing my thoughts on staying or get into more trouble.

So I had decided, "I will not get into involve..." I muttered to myself, narrowing my gaze on the mirror and nodding my head. "Yes, just stay away and stay quiet... My mission is to go back home..." I whispered, nodding my head.

"Divine Empress..." You Rina whispered into my ear.

Turned my gaze away from the mirror and gazed at her, "yes?" I whispered back.

"Lady Shen Ava has arrived and is waiting in the meeting hall," she whispered.

"good..." Nodding my head then leaned closer to her, "quick question... Why are you whispering?" I asked, still whispering.

"Because you were whispering, Divine Empress."

True... True...

Clapped my hands and jumped onto my feet, smiled widely, "okay! Let's go!" I said cheerfully, stepping out from my dressing table, but You Rina stopped in my way. "What?" I asked, confused.

"Mistress Han Maya had not yet arrived."

Oh, yeah... The mean one, I thought in my head. If I wanted to avoid trouble while in the palace, I need to give Mistress Han Maya too much of my energy or come in her way. But I felt like I already came into her way by marrying the Emperor and becoming Empress. "It's okay, You Rina. I want to talk to Lady Shen Ava alone." I said, hesitant at first, then she nodded her head and stepped aside.

Rules of the palace, especially for the harem, were early morning greetings to the Empress or Emperor (the one married into the royal family). It was reminder there must be peace within the harem and to keep up getting to know each other, sounds tense and boring. Rules are rules. But I still cannot imagine grown men getting together and talking about their life in the palace, like a book club.

Ha, Palace book club!

"Good morning, Lady Shen Ava," I gleefully greeted Lady Shen Ava, entering the room. She had gotten onto her feet as I walked in, she was about bow but I suddenly stopped her. "No, no, no, you don't need go all out for me. I can't handle it," I said, guiding her back to seat and sitting next to her even though my seat was the one in front that looked like a throne.

It looked cool, but it was too much.

"Lady Shen Ava, I am truly... Really sorry, I never meant to come in the way between you and Emperor. You were nice to me when I arrived, and I came and ruined in. Please forgive me!" I cried, gently squeezing her hand. "Please!" I whined.

"Divine Empress!" She placed her free warm hand onto my hand that held her hand. She smiled, "if the heavens fated your union then I have no say. My engagement with Emperor was nothing more than an arrangement between families."

Oh! She's so pure-hearted! I cried in my head, "I just hope there is no bad blood between you and me. I wish we can be friends. Things may go back to normal once I return to my world—"

"You're returning your world?" She cut me off, surprise laced in her tone as she asked.

Furrowing my brows in confusion, "yes, my main goal is to go back home. That's where I belong, I am not an Empress and I don't belong here."

She sighed, leaning towards me, wanting to tell me something important, But "Divine Empress..."

"Divine Empress, Lady Shen Ava," You Ava entered the room. She bowed, "Mistress Han Maya has sent word, she cannot come to greet."

"Thank you, You Rina," I smiled and turned my attention back to Lady Shen Ava. "You were saying?" Encouraging her to continue what she was going to tell me.

Lightly shaking her head, she rose from her seat and pulled her hand away from my hold, "I must leave, Divine Empress. I have many duties to attend, if may... Please excuse me," she said, placing her left hand on her left side hip then right hand on top. Tilting her head, bending her knees and bowed, "many blessings, Divine Empress."

I stood as she raised from her bow and she gracefully walking out the room. I groaned, sitting back on the chair, "what is going on?" I asked myself, rubbing my hand across my face, and sighed. You Rina stood in front of me, "what is it?" I asked.

You Rina turned her gaze to my court handmaidens, carrying books and scrolls in hands. Lifting an eyebrow, "what's with the books?" I nod to the handmaidens.

"History, Law, Literature, agriculture and religion are the five exams. These books and scrolls hold some information and notes you can read. If you find a piece, you hold, then you can take either five exams or one or two exams. If you cannot then militarily services, there is a short course if you want to be quick."

"What?" I gaped.

"Court Lady Rin had some of these books and scrolls sent to the palace."

Rolled my eyes and leaned back against my seat and gasped in shock, "are you telling me there's more!?"

"Well, religion has many books and has new editions each year, around hundred books are there." My eyes widened in shock; I can't read all those books! "We can remove religion, literature and agriculture. But you need to know history and law," she glanced over to the handmaidens, there was five handmaidens and three handmaidens walked out. "

I groaned, the piles of books and scrolls were still huge, "have you taken the exams?"

She nodded, "yes... But I failed, and twice." She smiled, unsure if it was something to be happy about and if I should apologize or say something.

"Military services?"

Shaking her head, "I had serviced the palace for eleven years, so I am except. People who serve in the palace are a way of serving the Empire."

"Isn't being an Empress a way of service?" I pouted, she chuckled under her palm and shook her head. "I can see citizens, both nobles and low class have military service. But how about the exams? Can everyone take it?"

"Exams can guide one in understand who we are and have a clear picture on where we belong. Government has books and scrolls available in temples and anyone and everyone get hold of. Taking the exams is choice but is important."

This was both good and bad, the government gives everyone a chance to take part to these important exams and open doors for lower class. However, it seemed they drove the ideals that exams could make one something. It's toxic, "what is the point of me reading all those books and take the exams? Once I figure out how to go back home, then I'll leave."

"Until then... Your Empress now and you have power."

Power? Huh... It doesn't feel like it.