Chapter Thirty-Six

Raina's POV

My body shook with each step I took towards the temple. I remember having the copy of the songs, but I remember nothing in it. I screamed in my head, glanced over at You Rina, who looked petrified. She must pray to her gods/goddesses that this goes smoothly.

I loudly cleared my throat as the tips of my toes touched the pillow on the floor. My eye wide gaze stared at the bowl of flames on the altar. You Rina stepped forward, reached in for a candle as she hands it over to me—our worried filled eyes met. That was when we knew—we're doomed, especially me.

You Rina took a thin stick, while I held the candle as she lit the tip of the stick. She turned to light my candle before disappearing from my sight, feeling her presence was behind me. This cannot be that hard, I thought to myself as slowly went down onto my knee with both hands holding the candle.

"Raise the candle," I heard You Rina whisper. Followed her instruction, lifting the candle above my head. "Bow twice and place on the altar," I did, keeping my candle up.

Slowly, lifted my head, then bowed my head again and rose again, and placed the candle on the empty candle stand. "Fully bow," she whispered. "... three-times."

This girl needs a raise!

After taking one long breath, bowed to the floor three times. Once done, I placed my hands on my lap and froze. What am I supposed to do now?

"Say the prayer!" She whispered/yelled. She sounded nervous and tensed.

"Huh..." I gaped, staring wide eye at the flames. So, do I sat here and do this whole thing in my head, then hope everything goes well?

Someone cleared their throat behind me, causing me to flinch in shock. "Say the names and pray," You Rina squealed.

"Oh, right..." nervously laughing while I forced my mind to remember what was on those books. I cleared my throat uncomfortably, then said, "huh... God of the Sun, Sol Ra... Yeah, and your Divine Beings. Holy though art great, bless us with warmth during these chilly, windy seasons. Huh... Thanks. Amen!" I exclaimed, quickly bowed my head to the floor again, three times.

I jumped back up onto my feet, turned on my heels, and faced the council members. Everyones' face obviously shocked and confusion, staring wide eyed my way. I glanced over to You Rina, who looked speechless. She lightly shook her head and rushed to my side, taking my left arm and trying to guide off the temple.

My gaze went to Grand Empress Dowager, who had her gaze elsewhere, following her gaze. My eyes landed on Duke Qin Woo Naï, who had a clear smirk of victory on his face. It was clear; he wanted this happen, especially in front of the council members. Does he have something against me? Or he wants to have kick on Grand Empress Dowager?

The awkward silence filled the room as I returned to my seat. After taking my seat, Kai stepped in and cleared his throat. "A toast to the gods/goddesses and Divine beings," he said, lifting his cup then taking a long gulp. Everyone still puzzled, lifting their cups then took a sip of their drinks as they everyone took their seat.

Music played again as I gulped down my drink, trying not to look at the Grand Empress Dowager. "A Cursed Emperor and a Divine Empress who cannot do their job. Can't represent the Royals anyway... We are going to be known as a disappointment in history." Grand Empress Dowager said, while the rim of her cup lifted close to her lips. Her face expression remained straight and normal.

We stayed silent, seated on Grand Empress Dowager sides—We kept our gaze over to our guests. As performers gracefully strolled onto the stage, Kai suddenly stood, bowed to Grand Empress Dowager. "Excuse me, Your Grace," he said before storming off.