Chapter Twenty-Seven

Raina's POV

Slap!

Slap!

Slap!

I screamed in frustration and glared at my bow that was in my hand, "why are you slapping me!" I narrowed my gaze to the bowstring. Then down at the arrows that piled around my feet. This is tougher than it looks.

You Rin chuckled, I glanced over to her when she covered it with a cough. Handmaidens, palace servants and guards stayed clear from my general area. Movies and games made archery look like a walk in the park, and now my cheeks hurt and my arms ache from drawing the string. "Divine Empress, you just need to practise more." You Rin said, collecting the arrows on the ground.

I rolled my eyes and stared at the target, "if I had time... But Grand Empress Dowager wants me to learn this within a day. What's so grand about this hunting thing?" I asked.

"The Empires Hunt is an annual hunting event to encourage peace between HuddOmen and Arriors Empire. But it is important to be better than them during the gathering."

"Sounds like a headache," I murmured in confusion. Lifting an eyebrow, "what's the point of going to this get-together when all we are just going to do is showing off?"

She chuckled, "we think the people in Arriors Empire as a warrior tribe, and prideful people that value hunts as proper way to break the ice. A good hunt, a pleasant company."

"Yeah, nothing screams 'pleasant company' like a good old running in the forest for a 'good hunt'..." You Rin narrowed her gaze as a warn while handing me an arrow. Taking the arrow and took the archery stand, "haven't I done enough for the Empire?"

Has she forgotten the all nighter we pulled just to finish copying Grand Empress Dowager's novel like prayer? I drew my string and arrow. I thought with Gaia then I would not need to act like an Empress of this world and give me time to figure a way back to Earth.

Now I need to learn archery to impress more royals. This is madness! I let go of the string, and a sigh of relief escaped my lips before a pout settled. The arrow landed on the ground and my cheek safe from a slap.

Laughter echoed in the garden, snapping my gaze over—the Emperor's gaze was in my way and light laughter. "Doing well?" He asked.

Shrugged my shoulders, turning my gaze away from him, and looked at the bare target. "I'm not your sports channel, why don't you run along?" I said, waving my hand with my head held high.

Rustling and footsteps approached my way, I refused to turn as my grip tightened around the bow. I felt a presence behind me, and I knew who it was and did not want to face him. A gasp escaped my lips, feeling warm hands holding my wrists.

"Keep a steady stand and calm your breathing..." His voice was calm and warm as he gently lifted my arms, "chest out..." He whispered, as we drew the bowstring. My back on his chest, his warm breath caressing the back of my ear. My heart pounding my chest, hoping the Emperor does not feel my rushing pulse.

"Let go," he whispered again.

A quiet gasp left my lips when my fingers felt the string snap against my tips and the Emperor's hold gently pulled away. Snapping out of my trance, I heard a bang, seeing the arrow stabbing the bulls' eye. "See... Easy," he chuckled.

Shifted to lift my head up, staring up into red eyes with a warm smile that made me feel at ease. "Is everything well, Divine Empress?" He asked.

"Huh... All is well. How about yourself?" Awkwardly asked, tensed but comfortable in our position.

"I could say the same," he muttered.

Awkwardly clearing my throat, "shouldn't you be doing some royal work?"

"I had... I'm just taking a break. But you seem to have trouble with your archery," he cleared his throat to stop himself laughing.

"Hahaha, hilarious," narrowed my gaze, stepping back and folding my arms. "I'm glad you're happy." Rolling my eyes and turned on my heels, walking over to the target. "But on our trip, you'd get a break."

Glancing over my shoulder, seeing him shake his head, "I still have to work, and the royals of Arriors and I need to discuss strengthening the peace between the two Empires. And since we have Gaia Kingdom, there could be tension."

Oh, right... They wanted Gaia, remembering how the mad King was avoiding talking with the Emperor and Council members. "Why are you taking all this work without rest?"

"Maybe because I'm the Emperor," he shrugged his shoulders.

"And I'm the Empress, and you don't see me taking crap." He awkwardly cleared his throat as his eyes slide to the arrows, then back to me. Realising my words are ready to bite, "oh, that's different." I quickly said, pointing at the arrows. "Grand Empress Dowager is different."

He chuckled and pointed the bow in my hand, "do you want my help?"

I chuckled and lifted the bow, "sure thing, kid."

The entire day, the Emperor and I worked on my archery. By sunset, I had improved a slight bit with his help. Wanted to thank him with dinner in my palace, but he could not because he had to catch up with royal work.

Following morning, we were up before dawn and on the road by dawn. The Emperor and I travelled in two different carriages, with guards surrounding us as we head to Tearli(e)qu.

You Rin was in the same carriage with me, and I'm delighted, because I need information on the Imperial Cha royals. "Emperor Cha Ren, also known Warrior Emperor. A skilled warrior and reasonable Emperor. But the well-known Royal is Rare Empress Cha Hina."

"Rare Empress?"

She nodded her head, "as you know, there are Omens with their white eyes colour. A rare is like an Omen, however, one eye is white as the other a normal set of two colour. A Rare has a choice to become Omens or live a normal life, but it is said Rares usual lack empathy and they usually adventure the lands or go hiding."

Thinking about the Omens that I had seen, it would make sense how they lack expression and bore. "Why are they called Rares?"

"Because Rares are rarely born, like one in a decade," she chuckled. "But Omens are more likely to be born in each year. So, will be our first time seeing a Rare, a first Rare to become an Empress." Hearing excitement in her voice, lighting bouncing in her seat. "Maybe you'll learn something from her."

I furrowed my brows in confusion, then narrowed my gaze on her, "I sense some sass."

There was silence between us, narrowing her gaze and spoke uncertainly before turning her gaze away from me, "I don't know what you mean by 'sass'?"

"Really?"