Chapter Eleven

Raina's POV

Grand Empress Dowager, Emperor Kai Jai's grandmother, the pervious Emperor's mother. I know little of her, other than she holds more power and well-respected in the Empire. She sounds like someone no one must never mess with, and I need to make sure I was on her good side. This morning, the Emperor and I had an audience with as we get her blessing over the marriage, and for her to meet me.

Glad my formal dressing today had fewer layers of clothing, and was simple, but elegant. Once again, the colour was scarlet red and two side-slits starting from below the hips, but with floral embellishment and was sleeveless with a cape added. The under shirt and skirt were off white, the gathered skirt added volumes to my dress and had two gold bands above the hem to match with the two gold bands from the scarlet red dress. The dress may be sleeveless, but my under shirt had narrow sleeves, heavily embellished by red floral, gold feathers and pearls from the wrist to my elbow.

I also over the moon when given the green light to wear wedge boots, I had my eye on, the heel/wedge made from wood as sole was black leather and fabric to complete the boot matched my scarlet red with floral embellishment. Sadly, my head had to carry the wig and hairpins, worse even my hangover still had not cleared up because I refused to finish that thing, they called tea. Slightly glaring at the Emperor who suggested it.

He wore a similar outfit like mine, royal blue with a floral embellishment, but he had sleeves and the cuffs heavily embellished like my under-skirt sleeves. Wore a black trousers and boots royal blue with floral embellishment, then his cape looked like upgrade from mine. Same length, but in front had thick gold ropes going across his chest. He got hotter than he already was. How was that possible!?

"His Royal Imperial Grace, Emperor Kai Jai, and Her Royal Imperial Grace, Empress Raina Sol Maka!" That was a familiar voice announcing our arrival, I wondered as Emperor and I entered the meeting hall of Grand Empress Dowager.

My gaze was on the prideful woman, who looked to grace her fifties, clear by her midnight-black hair with slight grey hairs from the temple, decorated by electric blue butterfly hairpins, gold flowers and pearls on her head like a crown. Her head held up with no visible express on her face as her royal purple-brown eyes gazed down at Emperor and I as approached her, seated at the head of the room like an Empress.

Stopping at the foot, both Emperor and I bowed, "many blessings and praise, Grand Empress Dowager." We said in perfect sync.

Pet on the back...

"Rise," she said, or should I say, she ordered.

"Many thanks, Grand Empress Dowager." We raised. My eyes noticed a familiar face, standing next to Grand Empress Dowager. Court Lady Rin.

She must be Grand Empress Dowager's handmaiden, "is everything well?" Grand Empress Dowager asked, it was hard to tell if she was being sincere or not. She held 'don't mess with me' look and was not helping me, epically since there was Court Lady Rin, right next to her.

One wrong move and I would be down in seconds, "everything is well, Grand Empress Dowager. Our marriage ceremony had no issue, and every council member was present to pay their respect." Emperor said, I noticed his head was slightly down and his gaze was on the ground. Is there a rule on talking to the Grand Empress Dowager?

"Empress, I hope everything has reached your expirations?" She asked me.

"Huh—yes, Grand Empress Dowager. Thank you for your concern," I said with a smile, and slightly bowed to her.

"Have you thought of which exams, you'll be taking? Or you would you be taking a short course of military services?"

"Exam? Military services?" Realising I blurted out, I slapped my hand on my lips and glanced over at Court Lady Rin. She looked unbothered like I did not just make a mistake, but I had a gut feeling she was itching to grab stick friend. Clearly my throat and turned my gaze back to Grand Empress Dowager, "forgive my outburst, but I do not understand what you meant by exams and military services, Grand Empress Dowager?"