Chapter 7: Career?

After what happened at La Nona, I started thinking about my next steps. With my bank account balance declining, I immediately went online to search for a job that suited me. However, this time I was more cautious.

One evening, I spent my time at Dr. Love browsing the internet. I spent almost seventy per cent of my time looking at job ads posted online. I made sure to write down every position I applied for.

By that time, I had already applied to many jobs, but I hadn't received any responses yet. It was already fifteen minutes past nine, but I didn't want to leave Dr Love because there was nothing to do at home. Gina had told me earlier that she was going out with her boyfriend Hani. I didn't want to bother Norman because I knew he was busy with his friends. Well, you know what they say, "Your romance can't beat their bromance." Gina always said that whenever I complained about Norman spending so much time with his best friends.

I started playing around with the dictionaries I had installed on my computer. It was something I had always done for a long time.

After playing for a while, I felt compelled to look up the word "career." I had done some research a few years ago on how people defined career success, but I had never formally checked its meaning because I always thought of a career as just work. After checking out some dictionaries and websites, I wrote down a few meanings that caught my attention.

According to the Cambridge dictionary, 'career' means the job or series of jobs that you do during your working life, especially if you continue to get better jobs and earn more money.

According to the Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka dictionary, 'career' means 'work or profession that is a long-term activity of one's life'. The second definition is 'career'. I also searched how some famous people defined career.

"Playing with the dictionary again, Marina?" asked Ally, who was busy delivering drinks to the customers. I replied with a smile.

"Diane!!!" Exclaimed Ally as soon as a woman in a kebaya stepped into Dr Love. Her name was Diane, and our senior in college. Just like me, she loved spending her time at Dr Love. She looked stunning in her dress, overwhelming in the best way possible.

"Oh, my goodness! Marina is here..." Diane realized I was there after a short chat with Ally and quickly approached me. As usual, we hugged when we met.

"Diane, you smell amazing!"

"Really? Better than our last meeting?"

"Yes!"

"I created my own perfume."

"You're kidding me?"

"Of course not. I believe everyone should be able to design a scent that reflects their personality."

"Oh no! That sounds like hard work."

"No, it's actually quite simple. All you need are oils."

"You mean different types of oils?"

"Exactly! You should come to my place. I can show you how," Diane winked as she smiled.

"Okay," I nodded.

"Great!"

"Diane, did you just come back from a wedding or something? I know you wouldn't wear that kind of dress unless it was for a special occasion. It's beautiful anyway!"

"Really? Thank you, Marina! You're right! I just came back from a wedding, and I'm so proud of myself because I watched what I ate and drank," Diane said with a smile.

"Hey, who's the lucky one that tied the knot? You?" I playfully teased her.
"No, not me. If it were, I definitely wouldn't be here," Diane replied with a laugh.
"Well, then spill the beans, Diane. Who got hitched? Do I know them?"
"It's my friend's cousin, Mel. I think you met her once ages ago."
"Ah, sorry, can't recall."
"No worries, Marina. It's not a big deal."
"So, how's StarHub treating you? Your new workplace. And don't you miss Telekom?" I asked.
"Oh yes, sometimes I do miss it. Everything's going well at my new office, but you know how it is with a new place. Takes time to adjust. By the way, I heard you're no longer at La Nona. Is that true?"
I nodded, acknowledging what she had heard. For weeks, I had to recount the whole drama between Zara, Shazlin, and me at La Nona. If I had a choice, I wouldn't have, but I have to admit, it was kind of entertaining.
"Wow! So those bloggers were right. I thought the fighting part was made up."
"Yes, I wish I had recorded it."
"So, you're on the job hunt now?" Diane asked.
"Yes, any leads? Maybe at your new workplace?"
"Not sure, but I can check for you. But hey, I have a suggestion. Something you might want to consider."
"Oh, what's that?"

Diane reached into her wallet and pulled out a business card, handing it over to me. "I got this from a friend of mine," she said. I glanced at the card and read the name of the company, TNS Research International. I had never heard of it before.

Curiosity piqued, I asked Diane, "What exactly do they do?"

"He used to work there as an interviewer," she explained. The word 'interviewer' conjured up images of those TV shows where people ask tough questions. Before I could inquire further, Diane grabbed her phone and dialled a number.

"Hold on a second, I'll call Mary," she said. I had no idea who Mary was, but Diane seemed to assume that everyone around her knew all her friends.

After finishing her conversation with Mary, Diane turned to me and asked, "So, do you have any plans for tomorrow?"

I thought for a moment, remembering my appointment with Norman at eight o'clock in the evening. "I'm not free in the evening," I replied, "but I have no plans so far during the day."

"Perfect!" Diane exclaimed. "Then you can come with me to the Capital Square Tower tomorrow. I'll take you to TNS Research International!"