Chapter 26: The House

"Hey Marina, is this the house?" Asked Miss R.

"Yeah, I think so. Look at that huge sign over there, it says Tradition House," I pointed to a ten-foot-long sign board in front of the house.

I had totally misjudged this place. I was expecting an old, rustic wooden house like the ones you see in villages, but this was a massive three-story hardwood mansion, as big as the National Art Gallery.

"Alright guys, hop off! Welcome to my family's Tradition House!" Exclaimed Miss B.

We all got out of the car and started unloading our luggage.

"Miss B, is this really your family's house?" Miss R asked, trying to confirm.

"Yes, it is. I swear!" Answered Miss B so excitedly. "Now what are you waiting for? Let's get to the main entrance."

"This is so beautiful," we all exclaimed simultaneously. Every one of us was in awe of the house, particularly Miss D, who didn't realize her mouth was wide open until Miss R pointed it out.

However, the upkeep is quite demanding. Miss B explained that it requires regular cleaning and inspection before she rang the doorbell and ended the conversation.

"Uncle..." Miss B got the old man by his hand and kiss it.

"Zubaidah. Where is your baju kurung?"

"In the bag. I didn't have a chance to put it on," Miss B giggled.

"Some things never change. You never want to wear the baju kurung when coming down here," the old man said, sounding angry but actually smiling from ear to ear.
"Uncle... you always misjudge me. I swear I didn't have a chance to change earlier. I just finished my aerobic class and rushed down here. Oh, by the way... these are my friends from work..."
She played her own uncle like a pro! Aerobic class? Oh Miss B... I mean, Zubaidah! Miss R whispered to me, and we both turned red from holding back our laughter.
"Please show them into the house, Zue," Mr Lan asked Miss B.

"Shall we?" Miss B pointed towards the entrance.
"Welcome to Tradition House, everyone. Come, let me show you the bedrooms. I can't let Zubaidah do that; she always gets lost in this house!" Mr. Lan chuckled, followed by laughter from everyone.

He took us up to the third floor. Miss R and I got the same room since we rode together. As we walked around, I couldn't help but notice something about the house. It was seriously decked out. Mr Lan definitely had some killer taste. The bed, the vanity, the vases and flowers, the artwork on the walls - all of it was carefully chosen and placed. The chandelier's warm light made the whole place look straight out of those fancy interior design magazines. The ground floor had a dining area, a living room, a kitchen, and two bedrooms. There was a library, an art studio, and three more bedrooms on the second floor. And finally, the third floor had another three bedrooms.

I plopped myself down on the bed after finishing unpacking, while Miss R belted out a mini-concert in the bathroom. I grabbed a couple of decoration magazines from the side table and started flipping through them. Out of nowhere, I heard the faint sound of a piano playing in the distance.

"Wow... not bad", I thought to myself. Intrigued, I set the magazine aside and focused on each note. What really caught my attention was that the music wasn't some classical Beethoven or Chopin piece, but rather more contemporary tunes. And wouldn't you know it, they happened to be my favourites too - One Sweet Day and Love You Like a Love Song. I was sold!

At first, I figured it was Mr. Lan blasting his old CDs in the library. But as I got lost in the piano version of "Love You Like a Love Song," it suddenly stopped, followed by a man's cough, and then it continued again.