Chapter 21: Singapore

I WAS filled with immense excitement when I received news from Chan that I, along with The Urban Fruits and a select few staff members from Hey, would be given the opportunity to attend the largest music award night in South East Asia, held in Singapore.

Chan added that all of us would have the privilege of providing live coverage directly from the venue. At that moment, our minds were consumed with visions of the incredible experiences awaiting us as soon as we set foot in the prestigious Max Pavilion, where the award ceremony would take place. What added to our anticipation was the possibility of encountering, or even rubbing shoulders with, the industry's biggest stars.

"Siti Nurhaliza, Agnes Monica, Sleeq, Regine Velasquez, and many more!" Miss B excitedly listed off all the stars she hoped to meet.

"Hey Marina, you don't seem to be enjoying the news about our Singapore trip. Is something wrong?" asked Miss D, noticing my lack of enthusiasm as I rummaged through a drawer in search of cellophane tape. I had just arrived at the office.

"Of course I do! I really hope I get the chance to meet Ariel Peterpan!" I replied casually to Miss D.

"Oh, look at this girl next door!" Miss D teased, placing her hands on her hips.

"What? Why not? There's nothing wrong with that, right? It's not like I'm going to..." My cheeky response to Miss B was abruptly cut off as my eyes were drawn to something on my table. It was a card. My heart skipped a beat as I read the notes inside the wide-opened maroon-coloured card.

Marina,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could spare some time to visit my residence in Bukit Timah, Singapore on March 15th at 8 pm.

Daniel.

Miss B and Miss D couldn't help but giggle when they saw the look of confusion on my face after reading the notes on the card. It was clear that they had already read them before I even got to the office. I felt so embarrassed in that moment. Even though there wasn't a mirror nearby, I knew my face must have turned as red as a lobster. In my head, I was mentally pinching Daniel's face for not properly sealing the card in an envelope. Why did he have to leave it wide open? Now, everyone might have had a chance to read it! Oh my gosh, my heart was screaming.

Trying to ease the awkwardness, I asked Miss B and Miss D if they were also invited. But instead of making things better, I only managed to make them worse.

"We're not. But it's okay, we know our place, Marina," said Miss B, glancing at Miss D before they both burst into laughter. A few minutes later, Miss R walked into the room.

"Haha! I bet you guys must be talking about the Singapore event, right?" She exclaimed.

"Well, of course! But you know, there's something else besides the event that's going to be really interesting on the Singapore trip," Miss B said, trying to make it sound exciting.

"What is it?" Miss R asked, furrowing her brow at Miss B. Miss D nodded towards me, and Miss R quickly turned her head to me and the card I was holding, accompanied by a mischievous smile. I was certain that Miss R already knew what it was about.

"I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky!" Miss B sang, referencing the famous Kylie Minogue song. "We've been around for so long but never even got invited to an afternoon tea, let alone a house dinner!"

"You're right, Miss B! She's so lucky, she's a star," Miss D chimed in, now referencing a Britney Spears hit.

"What are you guys talking about? Shh, let's get back to work! I only said that to stop them from teasing me. Honestly, I was thrilled when I first read the notes, but then I quickly became overwhelmed with fear about all the possible outcomes. And of course, Marina being Marina, my anxiety kicked in right away.