Chapter 31: Magic

I KEPT working even though I had the whole day off to rest. It was a relief to escape the chaotic office for a bit. I spent most of the time checking my work in the Review and Relax section, making some changes here and there, and taking a coffee break or two. But honestly, my mind wasn't fully focused. I couldn't stop thinking about the office and feeling guilty that everyone must be so busy without me. So, I decided to call Dee, thinking I could show my concern and care. To my surprise, Dee told me that he wasn't at the office either. In fact, no one was there except maybe Daniel. I was confused. Dee explained that Daniel had given everyone the day off, not just me. No one had to show up. This news raised so many questions in my head. I was more worried about Daniel than confused. I wanted to call him right away and find out what was really going on at Terry Lee. In my mind, I pictured Daniel sitting alone at his desk in the dim light, doing his best for the issue. Maybe I should call him to cheer him up. But then, I felt like it wasn't necessary. Maybe he finally realized that we all needed some space to recharge and come back more motivated after being under pressure for days.

I sent him a quick text, just checking in on how he was doing. He replied with a short message too, saying he was okay and that we had a break today. He told us to come back stronger tomorrow.

I didn't continue the conversation any further, but I couldn't help but worry that something bad had happened to him. We all relied on him to lead the pack, so it was important that he was okay.

As soon as we returned to Terry Lee, Daniel wasted no time. He gathered all of us together to discuss the fastest strategy for the upcoming issue of Hey. We only had less than two weeks before it had to be sent out for printing.

Daniel started the brainstorming session by apologizing for all the hard times he had caused everyone. He admitted that the current situation had gotten the best of him, and he expressed his gratitude for each one of us who was still there, putting up with everything.

We didn't say a word while Daniel poured out his feelings. Instead, we nodded in understanding, showing that we got what he was saying and that we understood the difficult situation we were all in. From the way he spoke to us that day, we could tell he was genuinely sorry for his recent behaviour. We also realized that the day off he had given us yesterday was his way of asking for forgiveness.

The situation at Hey had improved a lot since the meeting. Everyone seemed to be much better at controlling their emotions, and we became determined and motivated to work on the next issue more than ever. With the deadline looming in the back of everyone's minds, we were working our butts off to bring it to life. Our focus and commitment were solely for this latest issue.

We showed up in the office as early as 7 a.m. and left around 9 p.m. almost every day, churning out page after page of the magazine. We especially focused on the most important segments, like the Review and the monthly write-ups from our recurring journalists. Some staff members, like Rushdee and Teresa, were so dedicated that they decided to just stay overnight at the office. You know how terrible the traffic in Kuala Lumpur can be, and they didn't want to waste their precious time on the road.

Stress management was no joke in the office at that time. You could see aromatherapy candles and diffusers, soft toys, all sorts of candies and chocolates, comfy mats, and even Donald Duck indoor slippers, all aimed at providing comfort and reducing stress. It looked more like a slumber party spot than a proper office. There was even a camping tent.

In the meantime, I got some news from Chan and Miss B that their quarantine time was almost up, and I couldn't be happier to hear that. I was relieved that nothing serious had happened to them, especially with the number of cases increasing every day. I passed on the news to Daniel, and he instructed them to come back to work at the beginning of next month, just to make sure they were completely virus-free.