Chapter 17: Shot

SINCE I can remember, I have had a habit of overeating whenever I experience stress or anxiety. This particular morning was no exception, as I found myself indulging in a hearty breakfast alone at Capital Square on a bright Tuesday.

On my way from Masjid Jamek to Capital Square, I couldn't resist stopping by some street vendors to satisfy my cravings. I treated myself to a plate of Nasi Lemak, some fried Bihun, and a selection of local desserts. Each bite brought a sense of comfort, and as my belly grew fuller, my worries began to dissipate. The anxiety that had plagued me since the previous night slowly faded away, leaving me feeling more serene and invigorated.

I sat down to put my thoughts onto paper, attempting to anticipate the questions that would be posed to me during my upcoming visit to the Hey magazine office.

Several days earlier, I had received a phone call inviting me to an interview. Chan, the woman I had spoken with, informed me that the editorial department at Hey magazine was seeking an office assistant. Intrigued by the opportunity, I agreed to schedule an interview at the Terry Lee Publication.

"Good luck, Marina," Said Harry.

Suddenly, I received a text message from Harry. I stopped chewing, feeling a surge of nervousness wash over me. Taking a deep breath, I hoped it would bring back the comfort that food had provided me.

To be honest, Harry was the driving force behind my journey towards this company. He denied it, but I knew that without his recommendation to the head of operations at Hey magazine, none of this would have been possible.

Just as the Kuala Lumpur Book Festival came to a close at the PWTC, Harry called and asked me to prepare a journal about the event.

"Just write down your thoughts on the event. That's it!" Asked Harry.

"What is it for?"

"Every activity involving Hey will be journalled and archived. For that event, Daniel needs one and he believes it only you who can do it because you were there throughout the festival. Hey really needs it from you. Can you do it please Marina?"

"Okay! I'll try. But don't blame me if what I do is below than your expectation, all right?"

"Oh of course not! We are the one asking you a favour," said Harry.

Although I may have appeared reluctant to him, deep down, I was actually brimming with excitement at the prospect of completing the journal. How could I possibly refuse the request of the editor-in-chief of Hey magazine? In my mind, I recognized that Daniel's request was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. It was a chance for me to showcase my abilities. Who knew, perhaps they would be impressed and offer me a part-time position with Hey. I allowed myself to daydream about becoming one of the esteemed monthly article contributors for the magazine. With this in mind, I poured my heart and soul into creating the best journal possible. Even if nothing came out of it, I knew I would have no regrets in the future. At least I would have tried.

Two weeks had passed, and I hadn't received any updates from Harry regarding the journal I had given him. Although we had crossed paths a few times, our conversations were brief and we never had a chance to discuss the journal. Our interactions mainly revolved around his busy schedule. However, everything changed when I received a call from Chan offering me a position. Immediately after, I sent Harry a text message:

Me : Chan from Hey called me just now. She wanted me

to attend an interview as an office girl. Did you

propose me to them?

Harry : No I did not. You don't like it?