The Hotel

"Do you think they're safe, really?"

I walk over and plop onto the bed as well. "Bella how many times do we have to tell you that there's no danger to us?"

"Would you two tell me the truth, though?"

I look at Alice then back to Bella. "Yes."

"Yes. I will always tell you the truth." She said earnestly.

"Tell me then... how do you become a vampire?"

Her question caught me off guard, I stood and walked out of the room. "All yours Alice."

"Edward doesn't want me to tell you that." She said firmly as I sat down next to Jasper.

"That's not fair. I think I have a right to know."

"I know." Alice replied then sighed. "He'll be extremely angry."

It's none of his business. This is between you and me. Alice, as a friend, I'm begging you."

"I'll tell you the mechanics of it," She said finally. "But I don't remember it myself, and I've never done it or seen it done, so keep in mind that I can only tell you the theory."

"What about Scarlet? She might know?" Bella replied.

"She does but she doesn't want to hear it from Edward, trust me he was very adamant about not telling you this. He made all of us swear not to." Alice says looking to the door that leads to where Jasper and I are. Bella waited till Alice told her. "As predators, we have a arsenal of physical weapons - much, much, more than really necessary. The strength, the speed, the acute sense, not to mention those of us like Scarlet, Edward, Jasper and I, who have extra senses as well. And then like a carnivorous flower, we are physically attractive to our prey."

Bella looked at me as I was sitting next to Jasper still like a statue. "So I get yours is you can see the future, Jasper can manipulate emotions, Edward can read minds. What's Scarlet's?"

"Scarlet is a rare case. She is really the only one of her kind that we've met, but for that you should ask her." Alice replies looking at me and I turn my head to look at her and give her a smile. She smiles a wide, ominous smile. "We have another fairly superfluous weapon. We're also venomous," She said "The venom doesn't kill- it's merely incapacitating. It works slowly, spreading through the bloodstream, so that once bitten, our prey is in to much physical pain to escape us. Mostly superfluous, as I said. If we're that close, the prey doesn't escape. Of course, there are always exceptions. Carlisle for example."

"So if the venom is left to spread...." She murmured.

"It takes a few days for the transformation to be complete, depending on how much venom is in the bloodstream, how close the venom enters to the heart. As long as the heart keeps beating, the poison spreads, healing, changing the body as it moves through it. Eventually the heart stops, and the conversion is finished. But all that time, every minute of it, a victim would be wishing for death." Bella shivered when Alice finished. "It's not pleasant, you see."

"Edward said that it was very hard to do... I don't quite understand." Bella said looking back at me as I was facing the TV again.

"We're also like sharks in a way. Once we taste the blood, or even smell it for that matter, it becomes very hard to keep from feeding. Sometimes impossible. So you see, to actually bite someone, to taste the blood, it would begin the frenzy. It's difficult on both sides - the blood lust on the one hand, the awful pain on the other."

"Why do you think you don't remember?" Bella asked.

"I don't know. For everyone else, the pain of the transformation is the sharpest memory they have of their human life. I remember nothing of being human." Alice said wistfully as Bella got a inquisitive look on her face. I got up and then walked into the room and sat on the bed.