Visit to Azkaban

Alexis sat at the kitchen table, drinking a cup of tea. Her braided, light brown hair cascaded over her shoulder as she flipped through Demetri's notebook. 

She didn't turn around when she heard the kitchen door open and Demetri's familiar footsteps behind her. He threw the Daily Prophet down on the table in front of her, the picture of a blurred deceased man hanging from a house. The headline read: Death Eater Murderer Strikes Again: Why the Ministry Can't Keep Up.

"Your handiwork, I presume?" Demetri said. "It's a nice touch, really." He sat himself in the chair opposite Alexis. 

"But?" She took a sip of her tea and looked up at him. 

"I think you're being reckless." Demetri leaned forward, resting on his elbows. 

"What's new?" Alexis rolled her eyes. 

"Lex, I seriously think it's a bad idea to parade them around like this." 

"I'm not parading them," Alexis said. "I'm just sending a warning to other Death Eaters." 

"And what warning would that be?" 

"That I'm coming for them." 

"And what about the innocent people who wake up in the morning, open their curtains and see this?" He gestured toward the Daily Prophet. "Some of which are most likely children." 

"They need to grow up at some point," Alexis said casually. "The world is dark. Why hide it from them?" 

"Because most people don't have the stomach for this crap." Demetri's brows knitted together in frustration. "Not to mention, you're adding the risk of getting caught when you're setting up whatever the fuck you call this sadistic shit." 

"I won't get caught," Alexis said. 

Demetri loosened his tie slightly, still in his suit from work. He leaned back in his chair and sighed. "You're being clumsy, Lex." 

"Why don't you stick to finding out information and I'll stick to killing? That's how we've always done it. Don't start criticizing my methods now." 

"I'm just worried." 

"You never worried before." 

"I did, you just didn't want to hear it." 

"And I still don't." Alexis pushed the Daily Prophet away from her. 

There was a long stretch of silence as Alexis finished her tea, Demetri observing her, his thick brows creased with concern. 

Demetri pursed his lips together in contemplative thought. "The Ministry is pissed, by the way." 

"Why? We're taking care of the problem for them." 

"They don't see it that way. To them, you're making them look bad by finding these ex Death Eaters before them." 

"It's not my problem they suck at their job." 

Demetri let out a sarcastic laugh. "Ya right. Without me, you wouldn't be able to locate any of them." 

"Whatever."

"You could show me a little more appreciation, you know." Demetri smirked. 

"What do you want me to do? Get down on my hands and knees and worship the ground you stand on?" Alexis asked. 

"That's a start." Demetri's smirk turned into a full smile, dimples creasing his cheeks. 

"I'll send a thank you card in the mail." Alexis stood, the legs of her chair scrapping the floor. "Are you going to help me get into Azkaban tonight or am I on my own?" 

"I'll help." Demetri stood. "But I'll be expecting that card. And I want it hand delivered." 

Alexis rolled her eyes before leaving. 

The rain fell hard and quick outside, soaking Alexis and Demetri. Alexis pulled her hood tighter around her face, shielding herself from the elements. They stood in front of Azkaban prison as Demetri spoke with one of the guards. Ever since the Dementors took Voldemort's side in the war, extra (human) guards were hired to protect and guard the prison. 

Demetri was flashing a fake badge at the man, something he had found at the Ministry. He believed it belonged to a dead employee. "We're running research on prisoner's who've been kissed by Dementors. We'll need some quick statements from them, then we're out of here." 

"Who sent you?" the man asked, his eyes narrowed. 

"The Minister approved this." Demetri reached into the inside pocket of his cloak. "Here's the letter." 

He handed over a piece of parchment to the man, who unravelled it and read it. 

The man looked up and nodded toward Alexis. "Who's she?" 

"My assistant," Demetri said calmly.

"She's not listed on this letter," the man said. 

"She's in training." 

"I can't let her in without permission." 

"It'll take days to get another letter," Demetri said. "I needed these reports yesterday. Can you do me a solid?" 

The man looked at Demetri then Alexis, considering them. "All right, but I have to stay with you the entire time." 

"Thanks, man." Demetri patted him on the arm. 

"Does your friend talk?" the man asked. 

"Barely." Demetri turned to look at Alexis. His face was changed, using his magic to alter his bone structure, masking his identity. "She's sort of the silent and brooding type." He smirked and turned back to the man. "You'll barely notice her. She's just here to observe." 

The man turned to unlock the door. "Stay close." 

They followed the man inside, walking one behind the other. 

The walls were cement and windowless, a dampness clung to the air. It smelled of mold and wetness, causing Alexis to shudder. She couldn't imagine being locked up in here for years. The effect of the Dementor's was immediate. A despair and hopelessness settled upon her shoulders, and Alexis tried to focus her mind. 

"Bloody pleasant in here, innit?" Demetri said, seemingly oblivious to the Dementor's powers. 

"You get used to it," the guard replied. 

"I don't know about that," Demetri said. "I'd probably kill myself before staying in here overnight." 

"The prisoner's get everything taken from them," the guard explained. "There's no way for them to kill themselves." 

"There's always a way." Demetri's eyes glistened. 

The guard turned to face them. Alexis almost collided into Demetri's back and he looked down at her from behind. He was easily a foot and a half taller than her. 

"Stay here," the guard announced. "I'll go get the prisoner ready." 

"Yes, sir." Demetri flashed a charming smile. 

As the guard scurried away, Demetri ducked his head toward Alexis. 

"You know you're allowed to talk, right?" he asked.

"I would just fuck it up," Alexis said. "Besides, you're much more charming than me." 

"Careful, Lex, that sounded like a compliment." Demetri smiled coyly. 

"Barely." Alexis pulled her hood further down her face, making sure her eyes were covered. She was able to see through the sheer material, but from the outside, her eyes weren't visible. "I just meant you're better at manipulation. I'll be back." She turned to leave. 

"Lex," Demetri called after her, forcing her to stop. "Make it look like an accident." His smile faded from his lips, his eyes flashed with warning. 

Alexis smiled before turning away.