How to Say Goodbye

Alexis dressed in warm clothing, despite the warm breeze outside. Spring was in the air, teasing and fleeting. Alexis fastened her switch blade to her pants, its weight a sense of comfort and safety. She walked downstairs and poured a coffee. The kitchen was empty despite Draco moving back in. She took out the letter she received from Lucius, asking her to meet him at his house. He assured her his wife would not be there. 

She stared at the letters unblinkingly until they began to blur. She crumbled the letter in her hand, tossed it into the unlit fireplace. It settled upon the ash, ready to be burned. 

When she walked outside, muggles filled the street. It was the Easter break  and children roamed around. She walked awhile, trying to find a safe place to apparate. The fresh air felt nice on her skin, the sound of children laughing and screaming distracting her from her thoughts. 

She found a small nook between some buildings and apparated. Appearing before a small house, she made her way inside without knocking. 

The living room was empty so she walked to the kitchen. Lucius was leaning against the island, its black tiles digging into his suit. His broad shoulders appeared tense and his arms were crossed over his chest. His long, blonde hair cascaded down his back. 

"Alexis," he said, his voice soft, drawing her in. 

"Lucius," she replied, taking a step closer. 

"Thank you for coming." 

"Can we skip this part?" Alexis said. 

Lucius smirked and Alexis's heartbeat quickened. She tried to ignore it. 

"My dear Alexis, always getting straight to the point." He took a step toward her. He grabbed her braid that fell over her shoulder, touching the hair between his two fingers. "I don't think I've ever seen you wear your hair like this." 

Alexis looked down at his hand, unable to meet his gaze. "Why did you ask me here, Lucius?" 

He dropped her hair, now limp against her collarbone. He tilted her head up by placing a finger under her chin. "Maybe I just wanted to see you." 

"Lucius-" 

"I wanted to apologize." Silence crashed into the room like a wave to the shore. 

Alexis listened to her heart beat against her ribs. "For?"

"What I said the other night." His voice was quiet. "It was uncalled for." Silence as Alexis held her breath. "I do care about you and I hate that you think I don't. It pains me that you feel that way, truly. I think... I think I was trying to minimize how I felt because then this would be easier." 

Alexis swallowed hard, struggling to keep her eyes on his, while he watched her with ease, with interest. "What would be easier?" 

Lucius looked down at her through his eyelashes, a flicker of sorrow in his proud gaze. "Knowing that we cannot be together." 

Alexis turned her head, as if avoiding the emotional pain.

Lucius cupped her cheek, drawing her eyes back to him. "Don't turn away from me, love. What am I meant to do?" 

"Leave her." Alexis gazed at him with spite, her brow furrowed into a scowl. 

Lucius let his hand fall to his side. "I can't." 

"You won't," Alexis reframed. 

"I love her, too," he said. 

Alexis felt her heart crack, like a malet to glass. 

Silence fell around them again, suffocating Alexis. 

"We're leaving, Alexis," Lucius finally uttered.