A Snitch

Alexis walked across the grounds of Malfoy Manor, her conversation with Demetri running through her head. He had eventually come back for her, finding her sitting on the muddy ground, hugging her knees to her chest. Demetri sat beside her and she rested her head on his shoulder, both of them soaked and cold. 

"So what now?" he had asked, his voice barely audible over the pounding rain. 

"I'm still going to kill him," Alexis answered, her voice hoarse from screaming. "I just need time." 

They had stayed that way for a long time. When Alexis got home, it was impossible for her to get warm. 

Now, she was standing in front of the mansion door, the rays of sun beaming against her back. 

Before she had time to put her hand on the doorknob, Lucius opened the door. 

"Alexis," he said, sounding surprised. "I wasn't expecting you." 

"Do you want me to go?" Alexis offered, quietly wanting an escape from thinking of their fate. 

"No, no," Lucius said, closing the door behind him. "I mean, yes, because I'm leaving, but I don't want you to go." 

"Where are you going?" Alexis asked. 

"Darling, I-" Concerned etched onto his features, his eyes squinted at Alexis through the sunlight. 

"What is it?" she asked slowly. 

Lucius sighed. "I really have to go." He strode passed her and she ran to catch up.

"Where are you going?" she asked again, her voice even. 

"Love," he turned to face her, sorrow in his gaze, "I'm leaving." 

"Leaving," Alexis said the word slowly, as if not understanding its meaning. "You're leaving the country." Her heart sank and she struggled to swallow. It felt like the air had been kicked out of her. 

Lucius held her waist, steadying her. "I'm so sorry, Alexis." His tone was quiet, and it felt all wrong. 

"No," she said suddenly. "You can't leave." 

"I have too," he countered. 

"But why?" Alexis's voice cracked. "What are you running from?" 

Lucius hesitated for a moment, processing her words. "I suppose I owe you the truth. But, I'm afraid there isn't enough time." 

"I know you're a Death Eater," Alexis announced, unable to take it anymore. 

Lucius stiffened momentarily, his eyes searching hers. "I can't say I'm surprised. Most wizards and witches know of my family." 

"You don't have to run, Lucius," she said. "Your name is cleared in the Ministry. Demetri told me. Nobody can do anything." 

"It's not that," he said, watching her carefully. 

"Then what?" she said, taking a step back so his hands fell to his side. His touch felt like a knife to the heart. 

"You must have heard about that person going around killing ex Death Eaters?" 

Alexis nodded slowly, her heart sinking even further down. 

"I have received word that he is looking for us," Lucius said. "It isn't safe here." 

Alexis froze, unable to move. She stared blankly at Lucius, unsure of how to convince him to stay. "And what about me?" she asked quietly, like a small child, afraid of being forgotten. 

"If it weren't for you, I would have left this morning," he answered. "Narcissa is already suspicious. I should be going." 

"Won't you say goodbye before you go?"