Leaving Him Wanting

Alexis arrived home and Demetri had somehow managed to beat her there. He sat on the couch and looked at her accusingly as she walked through the door. 

"You seem to have enjoyed that," he said.

"What?" Alexis asked, brushing off her coat. "I didn't enjoy that." 

"You kissed him." 

"On the cheek," Alexis said, sitting in an armchair across from him. "I had to leave him wanting, didn't I?" 

Demetri sat quietly for a few seconds, watching Alexis. "Are you going to sleep with him?" 

"What?" Alexis asked, her tone rising. "Of course not. Why would you even ask that?" 

"I've never seen you dress like that for anyone else." 

Alexis crossed her arms over her chest, suddenly feeling self-conscious. "I was trying to get his attention." 

"And what if he tries to sleep with you?" 

"I'm not going to sleep with a Death Eater, Demetri." She stood suddenly, angry at this conversation. "Besides, this was your idea, remember?" 

"Maybe we didn't think this through," Demetri suggested. 

"What are you talking about?" Alexis asked. "This is the plan and that's it. Why are you acting this way?" 

Demetri sighed and wiped his face with his hand. "I'm just worried you're getting yourself into a bad situation." 

"You're worried?" Alexis asked doubtfully. "I've been in plenty of worse situations before. I can take care of myself." 

"I know you can, but..." 

"But what?" 

"I don't know. I'm tired." Demetri stood and headed for the stairs. "Night." 

Alexis watched after him, confused and angry. 

Next Friday came fast. Alexis spent the week watching Lucius, noticing if there were any changes in his habits. She wasn't surprised to find everything relatively normal.

She walked back into the bar, this time coming early so Lucius could seek her out instead. She sat at a small round table. She wore a black skirt with black tights, and a dark green silk blouse. She ordered her drink and glanced toward Demetri, sitting at the opposite end of the bar. He was reading a newspaper, sipping on some Fire Whiskey. 

Alexis reached in her bag and took out a book she was reading. She opened it up and pretended to read while keeping an eye out for Lucius. Sure enough, an hour had passed and he walked in. 

Alexis continued looking down at her book, seemingly oblivious to Lucius's arrival, even though she was watching him in her peripheral. He stopped as he walked in, noticing Alexis right away. She watched as he walked to the bar, ordered a drink then walked back to her small table. 

"Can I sit?" he asked, holding two drinks in his hand. 

Alexis looked up, feigning surprise. "Oh, it's you. Are you sure I'm not too much of a bother?" 

"I brought you a drink." He lifted the one drink with clear liquid. 

"Very well, then, you can sit. Only because you come bearing gifts, though." Alexis closed her book, setting it inside her bag.

Lucius sat and slid the drink toward her. Alexis sipped from her original drink, wanting to finish that one first. 

"I realize," Lucius began, "I never got your name."