Chapter Fifty Two

I followed Caitlin down the path, past cars speeding down the road. The was slightly ahead of me, leading the way, he trainers pounding against there pavement. We talked about each of our lives as we heading to somewhere I'd never been before. She seemed friendly, determined to help me for whatever reason. We approached a red building and Caitlin pushed the front door. When it didn't budge she tried again, this time throwing herself at the door. It swung open and she stumbled forward. I flung myself forward to stop her from falling.

"Thank you," she gasped, catching her balance. "That's alright," I murmured, the anticipation of seeing my 'dead' mum building up.

"Through here," Caitlin pointed to a door positioned further away from the other three doors in the hallway.

I walked over to it and lifted my shaking hand to the icy metal handle. It took a few seconds to clasp the handle because my hands were uncontrollable. Part of me longed to see my mum, while another part of me encouraged me to turn around and run out of the unfamiliar building and forget all about this, living the lie my dad and Richard told me.

Caitlin took a large step towards me, leaning round the face me, "Go on, it's alright," she edged me on, a small smile forming on her lips.

I pushed the handle down and opened the rusty door. The second the light caught from the room behind the door my eyes I slammed them shut to force the tear away.

"Sweetie? Cara is that you?" A soothing voice asked.

I slowly pushed my damp eyes open and allowed them to focus on the woman sat in the corner of the room, her arms bound behind her back.

"Mum!" I felt my tears pour from my eyes and they fixed onto my mum. I dashed over to her and hugged her. She attempted to hug me back but it proved difficult because of the rope tying her hands. "It's alright mum, we'll get you out, won't we Caitlin?"

I glanced to where I'd left Caitlin and saw no one. The rusty, old door was closed like before, only this time I was on the other side. I held on tighter to my mum refusing to let her go again. I watched my mum shake her head.

"Honey, we can't leave." She sighed sadly.

"What? We have to. Come on let's get this rope off of you." Her eyes flickered up to the ceiling. A camera.

I searched the room for something heavy and quickly found a small stool. My arms worked instinctively and they lifted the chair in line with the security camera and swung forward. The camera cracked loading echoing through the small room. I heard a loud alarm sound through the house.

"Crap, didn't think of that." I muttered under my breath.