Missing - Chapter One

A terrifying, high pitched shriek filled the empty hallway, causing me to shudder as the sound pierced through to my ears. Maddie! It sounded like it could shatter glass from miles away. I knew her scream too well from when we'd go to the park and she'd be squealing and screaming while I pushed her on the swings. Unlike these though, they were screams of happiness. She sounded entirely terrified.

"MADDIE I'M COMING!" I yelled frantically to my six year old daughter. Terrifying thoughts were running through my mind, causing me to feel dizzy with fear.

Fighting through the dizziness, I sprinted towards the room she shared with her older sister, where I had seen her less than two minutes ago. I ignored the feeling trying to take over me, causing me to almost faint, Maddie's safety would always be more important than my own, with no exceptions. I forced the bedroom door open hoping to see nothing bad had happened and that Maddie was sitting calmly and happily, exactly where I left her, playing with her imaginary friend, Alice. Glancing around the room I quickly lost my hope. The heat that was in the room a few seconds ago vanished suddenly, along with any hope I had.

I felt immensley sick as I saw the curtain above her bed flying softly in the gentle wind, spreading the baby pink material out around the room. Somehow they had managed to close themselves, completely covering the window. I dashed over to it and pulled the pink fabric back. A blast of cold air and snow hit me causing me to shiver out of fear, not the coldness from the open window.

"MADDIE" I screamed, desperately into the empty room. Expecting her sweet little voice to answer less and less as the seconds passed. Every second felt like a lifetime and a half, waiting for that answer, waiting for her to jump out at me, laughing playfully. In reality, I knew it wasn't going to happen, not today.

Edited - not very well, but I edited it. I can't believe how many reads this story has, wow, thanks guys.