Chapter Forty Seven - Richard's POV

I slipped back out of Cara's room. She needed some space to think about things and get her head straight as she said.

"What's for dinner Rich?" Paul asked me. He was spread out on the expensive leather sofa in front of our flat screen TV watching some stupid movie.

"I dunno, ask Cara what she likes will ya?" I replied trying to get him off his lazy butt and help for once. Don't get me wrong, he's my best friend but he's really lazy and relies on me too much.

He pulled at face at me and muttered something, "Why are you tip toeing around that stupid girl? She's not a princess so stop acting like she is. You seem to be forgetting who's daughter she is." He complained rudely.

"She's just lost her mother. How would you feel, no, how DID you feel when you lost your mother? You was older than her and you still struggled. At least she's trying, give her some time. She thinks her mum's out there, she thinks she's coming back. And you could at least try acting like a father to her." I shouted at him in anger.

I heard a cough from behind me. "I was just going to ask what was for dinner and if you wanted any help." She folded her arms across her chest and tapped her foot on the floor.

"How much of that did you hear Cara?" I asked biting my lip.

"Enough by the sounds of it. Enough to know you completely lied to me. She's dead isn't she?" She asked clenching a fist and breathing deeply. I think she was trying to prevent herself from crying because she kept shutting her eyes for a few seconds too long and then opening them slowly. She was trying to act tough and not show how hurt she was.

I nodded, "She died in a car accident two days ago or so now. I'm sorry Cara."

"How could you keep this from me? Did you really think it would work? When exactly did you plan on telling me?" She asked. I watched her eyes flicking between me and Paul. Tears were trying to escape from her eyes but she bravely fought them back. "Who actually are you?" I shook my head speechlessly. "That's what I thought, no explanation." She glared. Paul just sat still frozen.

She stormed off upstairs to her room.

"Well thanks for the help there Paul!"

"What was I going to say? Cara, I'm your dad. Don't you think she would be a bit creeped out by that?" He responded. I guess he had a point.