Chapter Five - Goodbye

"Oh god, Brogan what do I do?" Cara asked.

I looked at her sadly. She looked so vulnerable after seeing her sister laying on the floor motionless. "I think you should call your mum, she needs to know." I sighed.

Nodding she searched for her mums number. "M-Mum," Cara croaked down the phone.

"What...What is it Cara? Did you find her? Did you find Maddie?" I heard her mum panic.

Cara burst into tears, struggling to get her words out and saying a jumble of things from the past hour. I pulled the phone from her hand and hugged her tightly. Pulling the phone towards my ear I apologised to Rose's mum and quickly explained what was happened. She responded in between loud sobs as she hurried to get her shoes and coat on.

Cara's POV

I burst into tears as I tried to explain to my mum the past hour. None of my words would come out right. It was like I couldn't control what I was saying, as if something other than the tears was stopping me.

Brogan pulled me into a big hug to try to stop me from crying. Slowly I the uncontrollable tears stopped and I was able to see properly in front of me. Vaugely I could hear Brogan talking to my mum on the phone, explaining about finding Maddie.

I was facing Maddie's icy body. I couldn't believe this had happened. Wiping my eyes I saw something approach me. It stood up from where Maddie's body was laying. I shook my head carefully, I didn't want it to be obvious to Brogan who just ended the call with my mum.

"Cara, your mum's coming here, she's called the police we need to get out of here so we can show them where Maddie is." Brogan repeated to me.

"Brogan look, what's that. Did you see it? Something just walked out of where Maddie's body is." I pointed out as the figure with long curly blonde hair took a step closer to me. She came up to just above my elbow, just like Maddie.

"Come on Cara, we need to go the police will be here any minute, we need to show them where to go." Brogan insisted grabbing my hand and trying to pull me away. I shook him away, my eyes fixed on the figure in front of me.

It stepped closer almost touching me and wrapped its arms around me tightly. It was the type of hug Maddie would give me before leaving to go to school. She stepped backwards, looking up at me as a gentle tear rolled down her cheek. Her pale lips whispered "I love you" as she faded into the dark room.

"CARA!" I snapped back to reality to find Brogan calling my name. "Cara, that was the police sirens, quick we need to talk to them."

I let him lead me out of the cold room, feeling tingly from where the figure that looked like Maddie hugged me.

They took us home, to question us about how we found her. But my mind kept flicking back to what happened just before we left. They'd never believe me, they'd think I was crazy.

I knew it was Maddie saying goodbye.