Chapter 61: Besties

Pietro came to a halt on the front steps of the little house and knocked. "Волчица, open up. I have a surprise for you!"

When the door opened he did not see Alex but Loki in Iris form. "Hello, Pietro, to what do we owe the pleasure?" Loki said, stepping aside and letting Pietro enter.

"Annie sent me with treats for Alex." He held up the container Annie had packed.

"Did someone say treats for me?" Alex said as she came around the corner in a deep blue jumpsuit, hair pulled back into elaborate braids, slipping dangly silver earrings in.

"Well, well, well birthday girl, you look amazing!" Pietro walked over to Alex and pulled her into a one armed hug.

"I know, Sam is taking me out to a fancy dinner and then dancing for my birthday." Alex said, pulling away and tossing her braids over her shoulder. "So what did she make me?" She noticed his face fell just a bit.

"Honey cakes, of course."

"And how many did you eat?" She asked, moving into the kitchen and Sam entered through the sliding door.

"Alright, babe, cats are fed. You almost ready? Oh hey, Maximoff, what are you doing here?" Sam said, leaning in to wrap his arm around Alex's waist.

"He's Annie's errand boy. She made me fresh honey cakes." Alex popped open the container and pulled one out handing it to Sam and then grabbing another, handing it to Pietro. "Here, sit for a minute and refuel before you head out." She could tell he wanted to talk to her. "Sam, could you do me a favor, these shoes are rubbing my heels weird, could you run down to the drug store and grab me something to tape them?"

"Can't we just stop on the way?"

"We have time. Road Runner came all this way to give me my gift. I'm not going to rush him out the door."

Sam shook his head but kissed her cheek and said, "Okay, I'll be right back."

When he left Alex plopped down in a chair across from Pietro. "You've got twenty minutes tops. Talk fast."

"It's been two weeks and she hasn't spoken to him. I'm headed to Barton's for a few weeks tomorrow but when I get back I think I want to make a move."

"Finally." Loki said as he shifted back into his body, sitting down beside Alex.

"Wait, has she said anything about him?" Alex asked, caution clear on her face.

"No, why?"

She pursed her lips. "I said it before and I'll say it again. I just feel like she has one more stupid move in her and I know you have been waiting forever, Road Runner, but I don't want to see you get hurt any more than I do her."

"So you're saying I shouldn't?"

Alex thought for a minute as she chewed on her cake. "I'm just saying if you can't wait any longer, know there's a chance she's hesitant at the very least."

"What stupid thing could she possible do that you are so worried about?" Loki asked, grabbing a small piece of Alex's cake.

Alex scoffed. "This might be hard to hear so pre-warning but that girl had zero backbone when it comes to dick. Sam told me Barnes dumped that Kat girl and honestly I wouldn't put it past him to try and get Annie to bone him as a way back in."

Pietro was suddenly regretting agreeing to go to Barton's. "Волчица, I feel like if you told me that little tidbit I could have taken advantage of it months ago."

Alex shook her head. "Wouldn't have worked the same for you. It's mommy issues. The more toxic and mean the dude was to her the more likely she is to keep caving for sex, even if she hates a guy. At least that's how it was before Charlie, but something about Barnes just makes her revert to her old insecurities and that's why I'm telling you to be cautious."