Chapter 32: Adjustments

Mid May 2015

In the few months following the events in Sokovia things at the compound became a new kind of busy. The influx of new residents alone took some getting used to. Rhodey had taken the last room on the upper floor with Nat and Captain Rogers leaving the twins, Sam and Vision to fill up the rest of the rooms on Annie and Bucky's floor. Barton had tried to empty his room and offer it up for use but Nat insisted it remain available to him, just in case. With all the new residents came a new level of noise and Annie had, somewhat jokingly, threatened to over take Tony's penthouse just to get some peace. "Not a chance, Red. I may not be there much anymore but I don't like the idea of anyone but me playing 'hide the zucchini' in my bed and seeing as you and Barnes are a packaged deal now, keep out." Thankfully Annie hadn't just done it anyways because shortly after, Tony moved into the compound full time without any explanation and no signs of leaving anytime soon.

The newcomers not only added the need to juggle more schedules and dietary needs but Annie had also been working closely with the twins on Visa and Immigration papers and luckily her grandmother's Slovakian recipes had come in handy in getting Wanda to open up and feel comfortable due to their similarity to many Sokovian dishes. Nat and Captain Rogers had been taking the new recruits out with them on missions on rotation and currently, Sam, Bucky and Wanda were with them in Lagos while Bruce, Pietro and Vision remained at the compound, Rhodey attended a few military meetings in D.C. and Tony gave a speech at MIT and Thor had strangely been disappearing for a few days at a time with no warning over the last several weeks. Annie thought he might be trying to reconnect with Jane.

Annie sat at the kitchen island putting together a menu for the upcoming week, snacking on a bowl of blueberries. As she reached for another handful she felt a small breeze pass her before her hand hit the empty counter where her bowl should have been. She looked at the empty spot confused for a moment before she heard a smug voice behind her making her jump.

"Looking for something?" Pietro said, popping a blueberry in his mouth.

She turned to look at him, rolling her eyes as she reached over and took her bowl back. "One of these days Piet you are going to give me a heart attack doing that. My anxiety is bad enough without having to worry about you popping up around every corner."

"I know but it's so fun to watch you jump." He said stepping up and poking her in the side causing her to jump again before he leaned over her shoulder to read the menu. "Oh can you make palacinke here?" He pointed at a spot where she had yet to place a meal. "They were so good last time and it could be like a little surprise for me and Wanda."

"You mean for Wanda, right? You do understand that if you know about it it's not a surprise?" She asked, looking at him with a furrowed brow.

"If I say no will you make palacinke?" He said, leaning closer with a sly grin.

"No." She replied as she elbowed him in the ribs gently making him step back in mock pain as she went to fill in the empty space he had indicated. "But I will make them because you asked and it is my job and...I want some too."

Pietro moved around her grabbing another handful of blueberries before he made to leave the kitchen. "You are the best, Солнышко!" (SOLnyshkuh)

Annie sighed, looking down at her nearly empty bowl as Pietro walked away. "You know you could have gotten your own bowl!"

Just then Vision walked into the room stopping Pietro as he said, "Ms. Gardner, I think you should turn on the news."