Chapter 34:

Clawdeen stood at her register at Bentley's Food Market, her eyes glossed over and her mind blank. She stared at the ground and breathed deeply. Ever since she hadn't been around you, she had been becoming more snappy and spacey, leaving her work life to become more complicated than necessary. She felt numb to the world, the only key to her mind was locked in her dead grandparents bedroom. She didn't pay attention to anything except her own heart rate that thumped in her ears. She couldn't seem to break from the trance she was in, no matter how hard she tried.

A sudden thought popped into her mind. Where would she go after this? She had just established a job and a steady, problem free home with you. Sure, she had shared with her grandparents, but it didn't bother her much. Not until they began to pry, that was.

But where would she go now? Where could she take you? Where could she hide you?

She had no where else to allow her to get on her own feet, and though she hated to admit it she wasn't sure if she'd be able to do it all on her own.

Clawdeen's heat sank as a major chord was struck in her. She'd have to move you again. She knew how much you hated moving the first time, and she couldn't imagine how stressful it'd be for you to move a second time. You needed to have a comfortable, constant, steady place to unwind. Clawdeen wasn't sure if she'd be able to provide that anytime soon. She knew how upset you were with her already. She couldn't bare the idea of you hating her more.

But what was she to do? Allow you to leave her and ruin everything she had worked so hard for?

"Hey!" A voice called out, snapping Clawdeen from her trance.

She stared at the man infront of her. He held 2 gallons of milk in his hands, and his face gave away his unhappiness.

Clawdeen nearly snapped his neck, but she refrained from doing so and Gabe a fake smile.

"Sorry! Put them on the conveyor belt and I'll ring them up for you!"

He rolled his eyes and slammed them on the belt. She felt her eye twitch in irritation. "I apologize for any frustration I caused, and thank you for your patience!" She repeated the words she had been instructed to say when she made a mistake.

He rolled his eyes for the second time, and Clawdeen's fingers began to itch. She wanted to dig her nails into his face.

She subconsciously scratched her hands, feeling the urging tingle spread throughout them.

You opened your eyes to the blinding sunlight that entered through the windows. You gasped at the air, another nightmare had attacked you during the night. Bile rose into your throat, and you jumped from the messy bed you had been lying in. You ran to the bathroom and spilled your stomach into the sink, unable to make it to the toilet. Light tears dotted your eyes, and you wiped them as saliva dropped from your mouth. You let out a slight groan and glanced to the corner of the room.

Shock and fear struck you as the bodies were in plain sight. You grabbed your throat to prevent any more vomit from escaping and wiped your mouth with your wrist as you scurried from the bathroom. You returned to the bed and glanced at the bathroom. The door was slightly cracked, only giving you a glimpse of a foot.

You shivered and curled up against the unusually large headboard. You hoped Clawdeen would let you out soon.