Chapter 35:

Clawdeen stepped through the kitchen door and sat her purse on the table. She sighed at the sound of muffled humming. It clashed against the quiet house, making it seem more sinister than what it was.

She pulled her uniform shirt down before fixing her hair.

She tiptoed closer to your humming, trying not to disturb your quiet song. She listened intently, enjoying the sound of your lovely voice in her ears. They twitched with anticipation as she grew even closer to the door. She stopped to inhale deeply, as if to prepare herself, before standing face to face with the white painted wood.

She knocked quickly. "(Y/N)?"

The humming immediately stopped, and Clawdeen felt her heart sink a little at the new silence. "(Y/N)?" She asked again.

You stayed quiet, soft tears running down your face. The quietness had finally gotten to you. After days of torture, it had finally broken your spirit. Luckily, you still had your mind in tact, but it worried you for how much longer it would stay that way.

"Can you go away?" You asked. "Or maybe let me out of the room?"

"No, I can't. You know that."

"Then what do you want from me?"

"What would you like for dinner?"

"Huh?"

"Dinner, baby." She softened her voice. "What do you want for dinner?"

"Um..." You wiped your nose with a tissue that you had been holding on to. "Can we have pizza?"

"Yeah, we can have pizza." She smiled and stepped from the door.

Clawdeen couldn't wait for the day that you got to sit beside her at the dinner table again. She couldn't wait until you could share a bed or shower together again. She couldn't wait to let you out.

But you had to learn first.

She grabbed a pizza from the freezer and preheated the oven. She sat the pizza on a pan before setting it in the center of the rack.

While she waited for it to cook, she stepped into the shower for a quick wash. Once she was done, she changed into a pair of pajama pants and one of your worn T-shirts that still had your scent.

The pizza was done not long after, and she cut it into slices before making you a plate. She walked to the door again and knocked.

"Yeah?" You called.

"I'm going to open this door. Get in the bathroom and shut the door."

"What?" You scoffed. "I'm not going in there!"

"(Y/N), get in there or you aren't getting dinner."

"You wouldn't do that! I'm a human being! You can't punish me by starving me!"

"Fine, goodnight."

The sounds of retreating footsteps sent you into a fit, and your tears poured down your face.

"Okay! Okay!" You yelled. "I-I'll get in the bathroom!"

You waited until you heard Clawdeen at the door before gently stepping to the bathroom. You looked away from the bodies and shut the door behind you.

"Okay!" You called, trying not to be too loud. You were afraid to disturb the corpses, you felt as though they were still alive and just sleeping. "I'm in the bathroom!"

The sound of the door opening caught you off guard, and you waited until it closed again to set your hand on the bathroom doorknob.

"Alright, come on out."

You scurried from the bathroom and shut the door behind you. You wanted to put anything and everything between you and the bathroom. You felt a heavy, dark presence in it, and you wanted nothing to do with whatever spirit or energy was inside.

You sat on the bed beside your plate of pizza. A soda had been sat on the nightstand, already opened and still bubbling from the carbonation.

You ate slowly and quietly, before starting your humming again. The silence had never seemed so loud, but now that Clawdeen was home, it felt deafening.

Clawdeen hummed along to your tune as she sat and ate outside the bedroom door. She hummed as softly as possible. She didn't want you to hear her and get upset.

You sighed before tucking yourself into bed and laying your head on your arms. You sighed again and flipped onto your back.

You were never getting home. You were never going to be free. You were stuck, and you didn't know which was worse: the helplessness or the love you still held for Clawdeen.

You wondered if she even loved you back. You shook with tears as your heart broke.

Then you stopped.

What were you doing?! You couldn't love her after everything she did!"

But you loved her anyway, and you hated yourself for it.

You nodded, that was the worst. That was the one thing that made everything even more miserable.

Maybe if you apologized and acted docile, she'd love you again. Maybe she'd even let you out!

You cleared your throat. "Hey, Clawdeen" you called.

"Yeah?" She replied lamely.

"I love you. I'm sorry I'm making things complicated."

Silence.

You felt your heart drop. What was she thinking? What would she say? Would she even say anything? What if she didn't love you anymore? What if she found someone else? What if you never get out?

"I love you and I forgive you." She replied in a monotone voice.

"Clawdeen? When will I get out?"

She sighed and stood to her feet. "I don't know. Goodnight."

"...Goodnight."