Chapter 21

"Where's Lorenzo?" Ava asks against her will. She'd rather go find him herself, but she would probably get lost and be scolded. She sneers at the thought. When has that ever stopped her from doing what she wants to do?

"Lorenzo?" Lily repeats. "Why are you looking for him?"

"That doesn't answer my question."

There are times when Lily fits right into the role of help, but then there are times when she manages to sound like she's Ava's boss. "Doesn't answer my question either."

"I need him to take me somewhere."

"Where?"

Getting slightly irritated, Ava continues. "I need to see an old friend. Malika. Her daughter is the one that was found..."

"Oh." No sympathy in the girl's face, just understanding. "Why Ren?"

"I don't know." She does know. "He's nice."

Lily raises a brow with a knowing look on her face. Something tells Ava that Lily isn't too happy. "Do you like him?"

Ava twists her mouth in a scowl and bares her teeth to Lily. "Why does everyone in this house act like a fucking fifteen year old? No, I don't fucking like him. I don't want to sleep with him. I don't even fucking—"

"I get it." Lily says curtly.

Ava holds in her scream of displeasure. This house is insufferable, barring the house itself. A beautiful fucking prison. She can come to deeply hate all of them. A familiar face might just save her life right now.

Malika. Ava's been thinking about her for too long.

More than that she's been thinking about how much Ava will put her at risk if she goes near her, especially after what happened to Amara. But no more. She needs to know how Malika is.

Ava shuts out images of Amara's mutilated little body. She has the choice to do it, the will to. But Viral? Malika? It's been eating her up from within. There is no way for Ava to check on Viral, the least she can do is speak to Malika.

"He should be in the hall, would you like me to inform him?" Lily asks.

Easier way out. Just because Ava needs someone to do something for her, doesn't mean she likes it. But this is important. "I'll talk to him myself."

Lily's eyes follow her with an odd look as she walks out of the room. The hall is thankfully quiet, and she spots Lorenzo at the bar toying with the rim of his untouched drink.

"Have you had anything to drink?" Ava asks.

Lorenzo looks at her over his shoulders and Ava marvels at the bleakness in his eyes. With a tone gentler than his face, he responds, "No. Want to join me?"

Ava edges closer hesitantly. "Are you okay?"

"What's okay about sitting and trying to drink alone, Ava?" Ren asks in a tone that's so empty Ava wants to back away.

No point in pushing on and asking. Ava knows exactly what's on his mind. "I need a favor."

"You want to go somewhere?" He asks immediately.

"Yes."

"Does William know about this?"

Ava takes a moment to get mad that he even asks. "Of course not."

Somehow, that brings a smile to his face. Funny how drastically his face can go from empty to bright just like that. "Okay, then let's go."

-

It comes as no news to Ava that Malika sold the house they lived in. Now she has moved into a small apartment, sharing it with three other college students. Just the thought of it makes Ava uncomfortable. Malika is... a woman. She did not fit in with college students. She's regal, a homebody that wants nothing to do with much outside of her family. Ava remembers being so intimidated by her when they first met, to the point that she almost hated her.

But that's just what Malika did. She is a beautiful, kind woman who made little girls like Ava think twice about themselves. She is perfect.

Ava decides to go simple. She wears a pair of tight black jeans, a black turtleneck with a zipper extending from the middle of her chest to her throat and tall boots that give her additional inches. It's comfortable to fight in, but snug enough to make her body look sculpted.

But that isn't it. Ava needed to look like she hadn't been drained of blood. She conceals the darkness under her eyes, puts on mascara, and wears a tinted chapstick on her gray lips. When she's done, another girl stares back at her.

Good.

She needs to be a force today.

When she reaches the top of the stairs, she sees Gian and Ren grimly conversing. Alec joins them when she edges closer. All three men turn at her at the same time and say nothing.

Ava watches their expressions go from neutral to three different shades. Alec sneers, Gian's eyes turn evasive and the top of Ren's cheeks turn red.

She's not forgotten the encounter with Svet and how Gian jumped in. She decides to cut him a glance.

"I'm ready to go." Ava says cooly.

"They are coming with us." Ren says.

Ava's uninterested eyes flicker over the other two men. "Is that absolutely necessary?"

"Watch your attitude. William is not going to be happy with this bullshit." Alec snarls.

Ava turns her attention back to Ren, who says, "It's for additional protection."

"Not that hard to capture you without man-force." Alec's edged tone grabs Ava's attention. He had to be the one young one in the trio that took her down. Gian had to be the other. She always wondered who the three were, but now she's looking at the possible two, she doesn't care.

"It won't take long." Ava tells Ren, who is the only man she likes in this house. "I just need to—"

"You don't need to explain." Ren says, ushering her towards the door. The other two bastards follow in tow. If not today, Ava is certain they will be a problem eventually. She's got her eyes trained on Alec.