Chapter 85

Ivan is here. Alive. He sounds weak. Ava throws her gaze around the unimpressive cells of Pandora's HQ for a way out, but the architecture is against her favor in every way. Cold walls, cold bed and cold feet.

Ava lets out a shuddering breath, trying to regain the balance her body lost with a single dose of fuckall.

"What a cute couple," Julien's voice is flat.

"Thanks," Ivan responds, equally dead.

"Where's my sister?" Ava asks, eyes still on the floor. Maybe if she focuses on it enough, it will stop swimming.

"Probably snogging your best friend." Only Julien can say words with absolutely no interest. Nothing has changed about him. Ava ignores the sharp pang in her chest.

Ava looks up at him from under her lashes, an unforgiving snarl forming on her mouth. Julien cocks an eyebrow as if she's shown him a new trick. "She's unharmed, along with your roommate."

"I hope you're not here to talk any more shit." Ava fully raises her head, choosing to sit on the stone-like mattress.

"Good, you're recovering." Julien has the audacity to sound relieved.

"You'll see how good it is in a second." Ava spits.

"There's no need for this vile attitude, Ava. Don't act like you didn't know this was coming. It's about time you start thinking straight."

"That's wild coming from someone who just pumped me full of drugs." Ava seethes, knowing full well how weak she has become. Julien reveals his face, walking until he is right in front of her. There's no language to his body, but those cold eyes dance over her like they're searching for injuries.

Ava's heart aches violently as he drops his gaze, pressing his mouth into a thin line. "You should know that I enjoy none of this."

"He's lying, he thoroughly enjoyed tearing my stitches." Ivan's dark voice floats over to Ava's cell and she lurches to her feet.

"Ivan?" Ava says, holding her breath. The sudden movement makes her sway on her feet.

"I'm here." Ivan responds. I'm here. Not I'm okay or I'm fine. I'm here. 

Ava hides her relief, eyes like poison-tipped icicles on Julien. He's watching her and she knows what that look means. He's dissecting her moves, her tone and where her eyes go.

"How cute." Julien drawls, giving nothing away. "I almost shed a tear from that emotional reunion."

"Cut the fucking bullshit." Ava snarls. "What do you want from us?"

"Us?" Julien's brow tilts in surprise. "I didn't realize—"

"You didn't realize a lot of things. Stop being dramatic, stop deflecting. You better have a good fucking reason to stick your dicks into my business after throwing me out." Ava doesn't bother hiding the feral extent of her anger. They lied to her for years, punished her for their mistakes and now when Ava finally found a home they want to swoop in and ruin everything.

Maybe even a family. Maybe...maybe even love.

She would die trying to keep what she now has.

"I wonder if you would still feel the same way after knowing that your lover almost disemboweled Jon. Valdez hasn't touched food or water since." Julien says, eyes dark and grim.

Ava steps back, guilt slashing into her. "Jon?"

"Lies. I didn't cut him nearly deep enough to cause any sort of permanent damage." Ivan grinds out, but Ava hardly hears it over the roaring of her ears. Jon and Valdez didn't deserve that. Despite her head being all over the place, the thought of either of them being hurt...