Chapter 25

Hate the whispers and stares.
But I lost you, so now who cares.

| Stonecold - machineheart |

x

"Ren." Ava can hardly hear her own voice over the ringing in her ears. Neil Leo is not on the screen anymore but she can still feel his eyes on every inch of her skin. "Leave the room, please."

"What happened?" He asks, his hand touching her shoulder. Same shoulder Neil Leo put a fucking bullet in. She flinches, pulling herself up on her unsteady legs. He stares at her. "Are you okay?"

"Ren, leave the room." She punches out her words.

He looks at William, who nods. And he's off. Ava's eyes are trained on the screen, but he doesn't come again. Then a girl. Her face is barely visible, but with the tensing of William's muscles, she gets the idea.

"That's Sirena." William says to no one.

Neil Leo. With Sirena. Around Malika. Her Malika.

It's him. He killed Amara. Ava's fists curl as fury thunders down her body. He's found Ava. Just as he promised. And he will kill his way through to her. Kill everyone she loves. Until he can kill her.

I will kill you.

"William." Ava's voice snaps like a whip. "Malika is no longer safe there. You need to bring her here.

"I will do nothing that will risk Sirena, Steele." William speaks slowly, like she's stupid. "And that sounds a lot like risk."

Of course it is. He has Sirena for Malika and Malika for Ava. He wants her and he will stop at nothing until he has.

"You don't understand. Everyone is at risk. Just listen to me and bring her in." Ava's voice is trembling but she hardly cares.

William grabs her arm and twists towards him. Ava jerks back again, this time looking at him murderously. "Don't fucking touch me right now."

"What the fuck is going on with you?" William asks, walking closer but not too close. "Who the fuck is that?"

"You're asking the wrong questions." Ava says. "If you don't do something, they will both die. Sirena will die horribly, like–"

Ava can't bring herself to say her name.

"Is that a threat, Steele?" He drawls.

"Yes." Ava meets his eyes. "It is a fucking threat."

"It is, isn't it?" William's lip curls and suddenly he's nothing but her enemy. "Keeping information from me, putting my people at risk. Trying to pose us against something we know nothing about. Nice try, you stupid girl. You really tried."

Ava rushes forward, shaking her finger between them. "Shut up. Shut up before I fucking—"

"Before you fucking what?" He spits like a viper, bearing his teeth. He captures both her wrists, tight hold bruising. She yelps, tears straining against her eyes as she tries to maneuver out of his hold but he doesn't give.

He's too strong. Like—

She screams. William lets go immediately, pulling back from her. Ava begins to dash towards the bathroom but a quiet voice inside her speaks. Don't run.

Ava stands rooted to the floor, arms belted around her middle. Her eyes don't move from the floor.

"Look at you. You're barely functioning." William's hands knot behind his back. "I overestimated you. You were never built for this. You should've stayed in your house locked away. I should have never bothered."