Chapter 23

You call my truth in the worst way.
Through the dirty lands of a broken smile.

| Wild Horses - Bishop Briggs |

x

Ren sways a little and Ava's is sure she can't take any more of this. Sirena, his girlfriend, is still alive. That should have been good news. But she's been visiting Malika, with a strange man in question. Her temples are throbbing.

It makes no sense.

"Ren," Ava says, voice trembling. Her head is spinning. "We need to leave."

Ren doesn't look up. He stares at the picture of Sirena. Ava says his name again but her voice is going right through him. She kneels next to him and grabs his face with both of her hands, gently turning it to face her. The gentle curl of his mouth is turned down, chin wobbling.

He finally meets his eyes. She leans closer, wanting to hold his attention. "Let's go home."

Ren stands on weak legs. Ava scrambles for a pen and paper and pushes it to Ren. "Give her a number."

She's glad he's letting her take charge. She's glad he's quiet. But she knows he's not okay. They need to hurry out of here. He absently writers his number. She makes him recheck it.

Her eyes turn to Malika. "Next time she's here, text this number. Don't tell her anything about us coming here, okay?"

Malika nods. Ava has no idea if she will actually listen. People do wild things when they are in survival mode.

"Malika." Ava's voice is muted. "Don't leave. I'll come back for you. I'll do whatever I can. I'm still Ava. Please, just...listen to me."

She looks at Ava like she isn't even there. The other woman is too high to make sense of her words. Defeated, with tears burning in her eyes, she clutches Ren's hand and walks out of the room without a second look.

He's quiet, but his shock begins to wear off as soon as we leave the building. Their steps are in a marching sync. The sun has set and the street is unusually quiet. Ren looks down at their joined hands and chokes out a strained laugh.

Ava, in her urgency to just get back to the car, ignores it. Until Ren comes to a sudden stop, almost making Ava double back.

"What—"

He pulls her in, wrapping both of his hands around her waist and holding her close to his chest. After a moment of surprise, Ava's arms come around his broad shoulders. A hug.

"Thank you, Ava." He speaks in a strangled tone that makes her arms tighten around him.

"Thank you for coming with me." She replies instantly.

Grateful for the shared moment, they both just breathe for a couple seconds. Then Ren pulls back and presses a kiss onto her forehead. "You actually are a sweet girl."

The teasing edge to his voice gets him an elbow in the ribs. A genuine smile spreads across her face, although shaky, and Ren's mouth follows suit.

And it bleeds away just as quick, with the grimness of the new information weighing their shoulders down. They begin walking towards the car.

She never thought Gian and Alec could ever be a welcome sight. The ride back is filled with dark, heavy silence. Ava sinks into the seat, fully aware of how on edge the two in the back are. Every once in a while Ren and Ava look at each other for reassurance and to check in. Today was too personal for both of them.