Chapter 22

We all need someone to play with.
These puzzle pieces that we makeshift.
Maybe in time we'll be trained, patient.

Cruels - Makeshift ft. Brandy Burnette

x

The car stops a block away from Malika's place. Ava feels a thrill shoot down her gut when the engine rears down and Ren looks at her, waiting. She takes a long breath that hurts. Malika doesn't know where her husband is, her daughter was brutally murdered and left on the street. Ava can't forget that. No matter what.

"Are you sure about this?" Ren asks.

"No."

"Can you hurry up? The longer we are here, the more at risk." Alec murmurs quietly. Ren turns his head to pass him a dark look, but Ava's mind is a maze.

"Want me to come with you?" Ren's voice is gentle.

"I don't know if that's a good idea." Ava says.

"It's alright. We'll be here. Whenever you're ready."

She looks at Ren. "Come with me."

"Okay," Ren says. They both exit the car, face masks on. The one block walk is silent, but Ava sticks close to Ren and he doesn't seem to mind. They reach outside the building and Ava takes a harsh breath before ringing the bell.

A chirpy voice speaks through the intercom. "Who is it?"

Ava forgets how to speak for a moment. "I'm here for Malika. Tell her it's a friend."

If she tells Malika it's her, she might not even let her in.

The voice gives a snarky laugh. "Malika doesn't have friends."

Ava immediately dislikes the person. "Could you please open the door? It's something important."

"If you're her junkie friend, we will call the cops on you." The click of the door opening is soft. "Don't try to fuck with us. My daddy owns..."

Ren and Ava exchange looks before walking in. Junkie friend? They are greeted by a girl with wild curly blonde hair in pajamas holding a jar of peanut butter close to her chest. From the way her eyes widen, it's evident they are not what the girl expected, which raises so many questions in Ava's mind.

"Where is she?" Ava asks, heart pounding.

The girl dumbly points up the staircase, gawking at Ren as if she's never seen a man before. The house is small, with boring wall decor and a pastel blue wallpaper. Perhaps she is accustomed to the luxury of a mansion, because every second in this house makes her feel like the walls aren't further enough from each other.

They take the stairs and Ava slows her breathing to hear any sounds. They reach a door and Ava knocks.

When the door opens, Malika is not who she sees.

The woman staring back at her has been leached of life. There is no light behind those dark eyes. Her hair is a limp mess down her shoulders, mouth gray and bleeding in some spots. Bile rises in Ava's stomach.

She pulls down the mask, taking a step towards Malika. "Malika–"

Too many things happen at once. A searing hot blow lands on her cheek, and she goes flying back. Pain, so sharp and sudden that it knocks the breath out of her lungs.

She had been so eager, so worried, that she didn't see...

Large, warm hands grip her waist. Ren catches her before she gets hurt any further.