Chapter 29

You won't touch the silence,
but you can hear the screams.

| Bleed For Me - Digital Daggers |

x

Ava wakes up alert and ready to get Malika back. She puts her patches back on even though everyone has already seen everything. She does a little bit of makeup to feel good and dresses in black, tight pants and a tighter turtleneck. Her boots have a low heel which will make running easy.

Everyone is waiting for her in the hall, but Ava sees that William is arming up with Ren. Her hair is pulled back in a bun that feels too tight when she sees the knives laid out on the table.

"Morning, everyone." Ava says.

William's eyes roam her outfit with a quirk at his mouth. He likes what he sees. Lily is making sure the pistols have ammo, Gian and Alec are talking about which car to take. Everyone gives her a nod except Alec.

Ren begins to walk towards her but her eyes fix on Alec. A sneer pulls at her lips. "And Alec."

He scowls at her. Good to know that he's not going to treat her any different because of last night.

"Ava." Ren says. Everyone has gotten too comfortable using her name. His eyes are open and vulnerable and it softens some of the tension around her shoulders.

"Ren." She smiles.

He swoops down and hugs her firmly. It's not like the hug they shared under Malika's apartment. Ava wraps her arms around his shoulders, on her toes. All these people are so tall. He breathes in as if he wants to say something but nothing comes out.

"I'm okay. I'll be fine." Ava whispers for only him to hear, but her chest is heavy with gratitude. It's a weight she can get used to.

"I can't even imagine..." He starts but settles to rub her back twice before pulling back. When their eyes meet again, his are focused. "Ready for today?"

"Fuck, yeah. No.

"Let's get your friend back."

"Then let's get your girl back." She puts strength into her smile, giving his shoulder a shove. He smiles back. Ava's chest flutters with a feeling she hasn't felt in a long time. Being cared about. Being taken care of.

She takes a deep breath to keep her tears at bay.

"Put this on." Ren moves to give William way, getting back to stand beside Lily. He bends down to strap down a hollister, fitting around her thigh like a grip.

She looks down at him after making sure no one is paying attention to them. Sensing her gaze, he tips his head up, dark curls falling to the side. She even has a little smile when she says, "I could get used to this sight."

Heat swirls in his eyes, along with something darker. He looks back at his members once before cocking an eyebrow at her. Her smile widens but she feels his hand stroke up her inner thigh. She has to clench her teeth to keep in the moan, thighs jerking apart at his contact.

His answering smile is dark. He secures the strap and braces his hands on her hips to rise. William stands tall over her, his eyes hungrily dipping once before he walks away from her. She has to dig her feet into the ground to keep herself from jumping him.

Instead she admires the strap on her thigh..

"Do you want a blade?" William asks neutrally.

Everyone is quiet for a while. Ava doesn't have to think twice. "Yes."