Chapter 78

Ivan whips awake at the break of dawn, a  nightmare tightening the back of his throat. He look around the dimly lit room to ground himself, until his attention wholly focuses on the girl wrapped around him.

A small smile, foreign and strange, grows on his mouth. It loosens the knot in his chest.

He gently moves his head to look at her. Serenity shine on Ava's face, her mouth softly parted as he takes in the gentle slopes her face, her dainty bones and her even breaths. It looks good on her—peace.

Careful not to wake her, he untangles himself and moves away from the bed to take a cold shower.

The last thing he needs is lust clouding his judgement.

Instead, he focuses on the woman Lily mentioned the previous night. His friend.

He lets out a heavy breath, knowing it's important. He was never going to turn down Lily's suggestion. There is way too much at risk for him to have second thoughts—and if his friend decides to help him it will be on her own volition.

He hasn't seen Kiara Ambrose in two years. He hasn't heard from her in one. She will know he needs her help if he reaches out, that was the only condition under which he was to contact her.

Ivan shut off the water and dresses under five minutes. Just as he slips on his shoes, he hear Ava's drowsy moan. His attention snags on her as her eyes flicker open, rounding on him.

He moves towards her like under a spell, cursing himself for not being able to stay away.

"Good morning, angel." Ivan says, swooping in to kiss her.

Ava snaps her jaw to the side, scrunching up her nose. "I have stinky breath."

He grips her jaw and turns her face anyway, dropping multiple kisses on her mouth, cheeks and nose.

He's so fucked.

Ava lets out a giggle that makes his balls go tight. "Good morning, Ivan."

Ivan's breath hisses out of his lungs, dick jumping at her lazy voice. "I love when you say my name."

Her cheeks redden under her cherry colored strands of hair. She looks beautiful, so stunning that he wants to stay in bed and count the freckles on her face. She would probably beat him and throw things at him. And he would have to restrain her, hold her down and teach her a lesson.

The thought makes his dick stir in his pants.

"You're leaving?" Some of the glow fades from her eyes, now taking in his attire and freshly washed hair.

Ivan nods. She frowns before drawing him closer. Ivan's breath falters as those silvery eyes clash with his, filled with something morose and solemn.

"You'll come back to me, won't you?" Ava asks.

Ivan doesn't skip a beat. "I will."

Ava sighs, still having no intention of releasing his shoulders. Her hand cradles his cheek as she plants a kiss on the corner of his mouth. "Be safe."

Ivan's throat tightens as he looks at her, as she looks back at him. Just a while back, they were at each other's throat, tearing each other down and bringing out the worst of each other. Now...now he can't imagine not having her at arm's length at all times, earning her smiles, her laughs and her filthy curses.

It was fated. It must have been. From the moment he laid eyes on her, he knew she was nothing but a fucking problem.

A problem he now loves.

Ivan inhales sharply before withdrawing from her, which takes every ounce of strength in his body. She sinks back into the mattress, watching him silently as he turns the handle and opens the door.