Chapter 72

"I-I..." Ava stutters. She stutters. "Is this a trap?"

Ivan's nostrils flare but he reins it before he says something stupid to destroy the peace between them. "That would be a stupid trap."

"But why?" Ava demands, face hardening. "Why would you let me do that?"

"I'm not letting you do anything, Ava. You are here by your will now, I'm sure we both know that. But I can—"

"It doesn't make sense. You don't make sense." Ava shakes her head, flaring out the devilish red hair around her face. "You want something from me, don't you?"

"Ava, stop." Ivan puts up a hand between them, not knowing how to deal with her reasonable doubt.

"No, you stop." Ava jabs a finger in his face, lip curling. Ivan snaps his head back at the aggression in her tone, slowly leaking into her body. "I've had enough."

Ivan arches an eyebrow at her, confused and completely at a loss of words. This is not how he expected this to pan out.

Ivan studies her face. Her eyes stay unfocused, darting from item to item, as if her thoughts are too fast for her to keep up with. He is familiar with that look, that emotion, so he takes a step back—with no intention of leaving until he understands what threw her over.

"Now is probably not the best time to talk," Ava inhales, plastering a sticky smile. "I want to be alone."

"Because I asked if you wanted to see your friend?" Ivan says.

Her eyes narrow, mouth sharpening. "Don't act stupid. You know how weird and manipulative that sounds coming from you." Ava finally looks at him. She seems to have come to her conclusion.

Something tells him it's not going to be in his favor.

"I'm aware it's not something you expected, but that's the point. It's called a surprise." Ivan says, holding onto his patience.

"Oh, my god." Ava throws her arms out, now pacing. Ivan begins to replay his choice of words in his mind, truly thinking maybe he said something wrong. He watches her twitch and shudders with controlled violence. "You really don't get it, do you?"

Ivan blinks. She continues to stare expectantly at him. He nods, another step back. "Clearly, this wasn't the time or place. If you change your mind, the offer is still up."

He begins to walk out, but faster than he has seen anyone move before, she blocks his way. Ivan feigns boredom by lifting a brow, giving her time to say whatever she wants to say.

"You think you can just touch me and fuck with my head whenever you want?" Ava hisses.

"Ava," Ivan says.

"Don't Ava me. This is insane. What you're doing is insane. You want me, but you can't keep me. So why can't we just be normal? Why can't—"

"Forget it." Ivan says evenly, hiding the flash of pain in his chest. "Forget I said it."

Ava's eyes round before more anger pours into her foxy eyes. Ivan almost takes a step back as what feels like fear begins to take over.

He now has clearly said the wrong thing.

"You want me to pretend like this never happened?" Ava asks in an unsettlingly calm tone.

"Yes." Ivan responds.

"This or last night, too?" Ava asks, but he hears the little break in her voice.

"Forget it all." Ivan begins stepping away again. "It's clearly what you want."