Chapter 90

The entire hall is blanketed in silence when Ava and Ivan finish explaining the past couple of days. Ava is surprised to find the horror and anger stretching across Lily's otherwise calm face. For a very long time, no one says anything. Ava stays perched on Ivan's deck while he leans back in his chair.

"Something isn't right." Lily says. "This just seems too good to be true. Are you sure you can trust everything Julien said?"

"I don't trust anyone in that building. But he has sent a copy of the will and we checked. It's genuine." Ava replies.

"It's not just that. Dale did all of this for a reason. Hiding mom's murder, hiding your test. He's not stupid. He knew he would be found out soon enough." Lily's brows cord together. "I don't think it's just greed. He was trying to do something here."

Ava shakes her head in exhaustion. "I don't know. Julien and the team are working on it, but they won't be able to crack him."

"Do you think you could?" Ren asks, leaning close to the bookshelf. While Lily looks paler, Lorenzo looks...good. His muscles look more pronounced under his shirt, his hair freshly done and lips pink with good health.

Ava tears her eyes away to stare at her bouncing feet. "I don't think I'm ready for another interrogation. It takes a lot, you know."

"It will be done when she's ready. If she's ready. As of now, we let the loyal families know the threats and strengthen security." Ivan's commanding voice is a comforting stroke over her nerves. It's borderline clinically insane how much he has been supporting her.

"I've informed Chase." Lily says, twirling a pen between her fingers. "He can help with a cleaner security system."

"What does he want in return?" Ivan asks immediately.

Lily hesitates. "Nothing, he understands—"

"You're lying." Ava squirms even though his tone isn't directed towards her.

Lily blinks at him before rolling her eyes. "He wants to see Ava again."

Ava's eyes shoot up to Lily's and she gives her an uneasy smile. It makes Ava want to howl with incredulous laughter. People's lives are threatened and Chase wants a...date? Insane.

Everyone here is fucking insane.

"You got yourself a fan," Ivan says. Ava turns to throw a dead look at him, but he's already passing her a cat's smile.

"Don't get insecure, honey." Ava says sweetly. "Everyone is a fan."

Ivan clicks his tongue but his smile remains. A snicker alerts her of Alec's presence, who has been listening in on every word but has nothing to say. Ava knows it was the three of them who kept the house running when Ivan was missing—with no promise of return.

She had seen the look in their eyes when they saw him again, hand-in-hand with the girl that was their biggest enemy.

Ava hopes that she doesn't become their biggest downfall.

"I'll do it." Ava says. "Bring the systems in. But just let him know that I'm not open to kissing."

Lily scrunches his nose. "That bastard will probably tell you you're not his type."

She doesn't mind seeing Chase again, especially for a reinforced security system that can avoid all possible slip-ups.

The door creaks open to reveal a dark-haired head and red eyes. Katrina's eyes pass over everyone before settling on Ivan, not even stopping to see Ava.

In a small voice, she asks, "Can I come in?"

Ava frowns as Ivan stands and walks halfway to embrace his sister. It's a heart-wrenching sight. For a good couple of months, she forgot the girl even existed. But it makes sense now. He sent her away for protection as soon as things started going south.