Chapter 7

I looked over and noticed the lab door open and my mother walks in

"Hi Shuri' she says.

"Hi momma" I say back.

"What are you working on?" She asked.

"Just trying to make some updates for T'Challa's suit and some other defense weapons." I say.

I look over thinking she left because she didn't respond, but when I look up she is still there.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. You know, love looks good on you" she says.

I feel my cheeks heat up some and I smile a little bit. "I don't know if it is love yet, but it is headed that way." I say honestly.

Mother can always read me like a book.

"Dear, what you have done for that girl already screams other wise. How was the date anyways?" She asked.

"It was amazing. I got Griot to record her reactions to the plot twisting moments. I haven't laughed that hard in a while. It was nice being me. It is nice being me. She doesn't expect me to change. Even though she doesn't understand half of the science stuff I say, she still listens to me and hangs onto every word as if it were going to be the last I speak. Everyone here views me as the princess, the science tech girl, and baby sister of T'Challa, but Raksha, gosh momma. She sees me. She sees Shuri." I say as I walk over to the window overlooking the training area.

I see Raksha getting approached by a group of kids. She smiles and stands up greeting all of them. Momma joined me in watching her.

"I know she is having nightmares. I hear her screaming even if she doesn't acknowledge it. She covers her pain for the joy and happiness of others. Last night was the first time she slept without nightmares. I am trying not to sound prideful but I was there all night holding her. So I feel like I made her feel safe and comfortable enough to fully relax in her sleep. Momma what is this that I am feeling? When I am away from her I can't breath. I always worry if she is okay. If she has ate or ate enough. Is she sleeping? Is she happy? I have only known her for a couple months since she came out of the cyro. Does this not sound crazy?" I ask.

"My Shuri, sometimes you have to look at things without the scientific proof behind it. And what I mean by that is you cannot put love on a scale of when it is long enough not long enough to be feeling it. When I met your baba, I was head over heels from day one. He was charming, made me feel special, and wanted to be with me. It wasn't long until we were in love and we never gave up on each other. I know you have trouble sometimes in believing about our tribe and lands stories and ancestors in the afterlife because there is no scientific proof. But step out of the science brain of yours, and listen to your heart. Let your heart call out and crave her. She will be your anchor and you will be hers. You know I believe in soulmates and I always thought your father and I were soulmates. But after seeing you and Raksha together, nothing compares to what you already have and have potential to have. Let yourself be happy. I know you have responsibilities in this lab, but let her and this relationship be what makes you feel like a teenager. Have fun. Explore. You deserve the world and she is already trying to give it to you." Momma says.