Chapter 9. A meaningful conversation.

Christopher's P.O.V

I lost my temper when Evander grabbed my ass. I slammed him to the floor and yelled, "Keep your hands to yourself!" I gasped when I saw blood on Evander's forehead. I hadn't even realized that the man had hit his head on the coffee table. Evander lay on the floor unconscious. I flipped him around and tried to listen to his heartbeat. I got startled when Evander said, "I'm fine. This small wound is nothing to me. The rug is comfortable. Let me rest here for a minute." I huffed, then went to get a first-aid kit.

I sat next to Evander, then asked, "Why did you come out all guns blazing when you are this tired, Evander? You should have stayed home." Evander chuckled while grabbing a pillow from the sofa. I cleaned Evander's forehead and put a band-aid on the cut. My heart almost jumped out of my chest when Evander asked, "Why don't you stick up for yourself, Chris? Do you know how angry I was when my mother told me what your parents did? How could they not tell you about Maxim?" I grabbed the first-aid kit and said, "I'll get you something to drink."

Evander smirked and stated, "I hope that it's something powerful. I feel like getting drunk tonight." I grabbed a bottle of whiskey and glass for Evander. Evander smiled and uttered, "Yes! That's what I'm talking about." I watched Evander devour the whiskey. The man got up after a while, then sat next to me. I didn't want him to attack me, so I moved further away. Evander laughed and declared, "I won't touch you without your consent again, Chris. I'm sorry for what happened earlier. I was angry and wanted to punish you for being such a wuss." I frowned when Evander stared into my eyes and asked, "But you are not a weakling, are you? I know that you are hiding something from your parents." "This man is such a pain," I thought to myself.

Evander winked at me and said, "Maxim is not my biological child. I told your parents about this. They should have shared this information with you." I grabbed Evander's arm and uttered, "What are you talking about, Van?" Evander poured himself a drink, then replied, "I didn't sleep with Luca either. The guy is into BDSM. Luca's pair doesn't like to hurt him. So Luca asked me to punish him. I was going to reject him at first, but I then remembered in which state he returned my child. Maxim has sensitive skin. I told Luca to watch what the toddler ate and touched in his company. The guy neglected his duties as a father. The child returned with rashes all over his body. He doesn't want to wear clothes because of the itch."

I sighed, then asked Evander, "Are you telling me that Maxim is Luca's biological child, but you're the one who's taking care of him?" Evander nodded and went back to drinking. I shook my head while looking at the almost empty bottle. I pondered about Maxim's biological father. He must have been an alpha. I smiled at Evander and asked, "Where is Maxim's father now?" Evander sighed and stated, "I don't know, and I don't care. I met Luca on a movie set. He was looking for a sponsor, and I happily obliged. Looking back, I don't think that I ever loved him. We got married on a whim. My parents were disappointed in me when we eloped. Luca never made an effort to win them over, either. Maybe that's why we were only together for a year. Luca disappeared after our divorce. I could find him if I wanted to, but I was going through some things back then. Imagine my surprise when Luca appeared at our main gate with a baby in his arms."

"Luca told me that the father of the child had raped him. He never saw the alpha's face. Luca stayed quiet because of his career. I didn't trust Luca, but I could see how depressed he was. Luca begged me to take the child. I was about to send him away when I saw the baby's face. My stone-cold heart melted when the baby smiled. I adopted the child and ensured no one could take him away from my family. Luca wanted to introduce the child to his mate. He promised to protect Maxim with his life. Anyone can see what a great job he did. It will take weeks for the rashes to disappear. I will never entrust my child to Lucah again." I smiled, then asked, "You love him so much even though he is an omega?"

Evander frowned, then stated, "I never differentiate between genders. Everyone has the same problems. We all work hard to live the life we want. I don't care if you are an alpha, beta, or omega. You'll receive the same treatment from me." I had heard many bad things about Evander. The guy was unexpectedly righteous. Evander smirked and stated, "Now you." I groaned and replied, "I don't have anything to share with you, Van. I am as you see me." Evander laughed, then uttered, "Guess what I found out today?" I was about to walk away when Evander said, "I signed a contract with your cleaning business today. Your team will be in charge of cleaning all my companies from tomorrow now. Who would have thought that using college students with sob stories would be this effective? I almost donated all my money to the girl that set up our meeting."

It was time for me to spill the beans. I leaned forward, then folded my hands together. Evander chuckled when I said, "Okay, you got me." Evander smirked, then stated, "Go on." I wanted to kick Evander. I took a deep breath, then declared, "I'm planning to take over the empire as soon as Ceasar turns twenty-one. My plan is already in motion. Ceasar won't know what hit him. I won't let my hard work go to waste. The only thing I need now is someone I can trust with my heart." Evander patted his chest and declared, "You can trust me. I'm tired of people ridiculing you. I will do anything to help you reach your goals." I couldn't understand why Evander was being friendly to me. I smirked, then asked Evander, "What do you want out of all of this, Van?" Evander chuckled and replied, "Oh, nothing much. Just that you help me expand my businesses."

I sighed, then uttered, "But that means we will have to act like we are inseparable." Evander took off his jacket and said, "I have no problem with that. No one will dare to taunt you when I'm around." I patted Evander's back and declared, "People's taunts don't bother me, Evander. The same people come to me when they are in trouble. I then pay them back tenfold." Evander unbuttoned his shirt, then stated, "Wow. You are eviler than I thought." I scowled when Evander threw his shirt on the sofa. I got up, grabbed the shirt, and asked, "What do you think you are doing, Evander?" Evander yawned and stated, "I had to control my rut last night. I'm exhausted and need to rest. Let me sleep over tonight. I won't bother you."

Evander laid down and fell asleep before I could reply to him. I sighed while cleaning the coffee table. It was raining outside. I didn't want Evander to catch a cold, so I covered him with a blanket. I got startled when Evander asked, "Are you going home with me in the morning, Chris? Maxim will be happy to see you." I contemplated and replied, "Yes. I'll join you. Good night. I'll see you in the morning. You can use the spare room to get ready. Everything is new in there." I turned off all the lights and went to bed. I hadn't slept so well in a while. Evander had already showered when I woke up in the morning. He was busy getting dressed. He smiled and said, "I asked my assistant to bring me clean clothes. I hope you don't mind, Chris."

I gazed at the guy standing by the door, then stated, "It's alright. He must be trustworthy for you to call him here." We left my apartment at eight a.m. We both got busy reviewing projects in the car. I only realized we had arrived when the guards opened the main gate. Maxim ran to Evander when we stepped into the house. He yelled, "Good morning, daddy!" and squealed. The rashes had gotten worse. I suddenly realized why Evander's mother looked troubled that day. Evander grabbed Maxim's hands when he started scratching his tummy. I patted Evander's back and said, "Our cosmetic company has developed a cream for sensitive skin. It's not on the market yet, but it's good. I'll send a few bottles for Maxim. It will help ease the itch."

Maxim gazed at me, then screamed, "Papa!" He wiggled out of Evander's arms, then made grabby hands at me. I couldn't help but pick up the cute boy. Maxim hugged me tightly, then stated, "Sorry for scaring you yesterday, papa. I won't do it again. I promise." Maxim got startled when his grandfather yelled, "What's all the commotion about?" Maxim clapped his hands and squealed, "Papa is back, grandpa!" I didn't know how to correct the little boy, so I stayed quiet. Evander tickled Maxim and said, "It's alright, Chris. Maxim heard that we got married. He thinks you are his father now. I'll explain things to him later. Don't worry." Evander's mother walked out of the kitchen and uttered, "Oh, good. You two are back. Wash up. Breakfast is ready." I grabbed Evander's arm when he was about to walk away. Evander looked questioningly at me. I gazed at Maxim, then asked, "What are we now, Evander?" Evander smiled and replied, "We are friends for life, Chris."

Hi everyone, how are you all doing? Please, look after yourselves. See you all soon. Stay safe.