Chapter 34. Alpha Evander King

Evander's P.O.V

I had never expected to run the empire with Chris. I once dreamt of overtaking it by force but changed my mind after meeting my mate. I was surprised when Chris made the suggestion. I knew how hard he had worked to keep the empire in the number one position. I got lost in my thoughts. Maxim's giggling made me realize how important it was to be at how in time. I didn't want the children to think that work was more important to us than them. I could sense how happy Chris was when I agreed to join him. He could ask me the world, and I would give it to him.

We spent the rest of the weekend planning our next move. It was Monday before we knew it. Chris and I left for work together. Everyone stood up as we walked through the door. Chris uttered, "Good morning, everyone. Keep up the good work," then led me to a private elevator. He smiled and asked, "It's your first time here, right?" I shook my head and answered, "No, I came here once to ask permission to use the Eckhart Port. You refused to see me, so I left. We started using our rival's port after you rejected us again. You can imagine how demeaning the whole situation was for me."

Chris chuckled and stated, "I remember now. Well. You can't blame me for acting like that. You have always had a bad reputation. I didn't want to get in trouble by associating with you." Chris cupped my face when I huffed. He kissed me passionately and said, "I'm so glad to have you here with me. I have a surprise for you. I hope you will like it." The elevator soon reached the top floor. Chris's assistant had managed to change the interior of the whole floor over the weekend. Everything was to my taste. Chris grabbed my hand and said, "Let's go. Leonard and Petra will be here soon." My eyes widened in surprise when Chris opened his office door. There was a plaque with my name on the desk. Why was the title "President" under my name?

I pulled my hand away and declared, "I can't take this position, Chris. I don't deserve it. And what about you? What will you do while I manage the empire?" Chris grabbed my belt and pulled me closer. He leaned his forehead against mine and replied, "I'll be here, sweetheart. My office is on the second floor. I want to be available for the kids and your parents. That won't be possible if I take the top position. You can manage your businesses from here. I will be with you every step of the way." I sighed while looking at the name plaque. I hugged Chris and asked, "Aren't you afraid I will betray you?" Chris laughed while stroking my head and said, "You love me too much to betray me, Van. Rest assured, I'm no fool. I'll keep my eyes on you." I kissed my husband and uttered, "You never cease to amaze me, Chris."

My desk phone suddenly rang. Chris pushed me away and stated, "Go, answer it. It's for you." I picked up the phone and uttered, "Yes?" I gazed at Chris when I heard Sybil's voice. Chris grinned, then blew a kiss at me. I sat down and asked Sybil, "You got promoted too, Sybil?" Sybil chuckled and said, "Yes, sir. Mr. Eckhart insisted I follow you." I smiled and replied, "Good job. Now, tell me why you called." Sybil sighed, then declared, "Leonard and Petra Eckhart are here. They have been constantly complaining to the staff. They seem to be not happy with the current situation." I rubbed my forehead and stated, "Bring them to my office. Chris is here. Ask Duncan to join you. We want to record the meeting."

Duncan walked into my office with camera equipment. Chris gave him instructions and joined me. I grabbed a chair for my mate, but he refused to sit. I could see how nervous Chris was. I played with his hand while waiting for Leonard and Petra to arrive. Chris leaned over and kissed me softly. I growled when Petra yelled, "Oh my lord. You were right, Leonard. I should have never trusted Chris. Look who's at the helm. That damn omega lost his mind and made Evander the president." Chris put his hand on my shoulder to calm me down. He then declared, "Mind what you say, Petra. Everything you say or do here will be recorded and presented to the court if necessary." Petra gasped and yelled, "How dare you, Chris! The empire was ours to begin with. How could you discard our furniture and documents like it's trash? Your grandfather wanted to teach you a lesson, but we persuaded him not to hurt you. We should have let him knock some sense into you."