Chapter 16. Arrogant bastards

Christopher's P.O.V

I knew why Evander wanted me to stay away from Maxim. I would have done the same thing if the boy was mine. Evander had failed to realize that I never joked around. I would die before I broke my oaths. I loved Maxim too much to hurt him. My heart swelled with pride every time the boy smiled at me. Maxim was the first soul to love me sincerely. I appreciated it.

I got overwhelmed with work and didn't notice that I was in a rut. Evander treating me like dirt when I got home made things worse. I wanted to shower, then sleep, but God had other plans for me. I would have never slept with Evander if I didn't have to travel the next day. I needed to get rid of the itch before I lost my mind and attacked someone. Sex with Evander was outstanding. I could see that Evander was surprised by my moves. He had heard the rumors about me. My ex-boyfriend spread those awful tales about me when I broke up with him. He paid dearly for his sins.

I knew Evander would never accept me, but it still hurt when he answered Aiden's call. I didn't want to seem childish. I closed my eyes, got my emotions, then addressed the man. Evander didn't seem to be fazed by my departure. He uttered, "Have a safe trip," and then grabbed a suit. I sighed while walking back to my room. "When will I find a man who will love me dearly?" I thought to myself while packing my bags. I went to look for Maxim after getting dressed. I found the little boy in Evander's room.

Maxim jumped off the bed while yelling, "Papa!" I had already told Maxim about my trip. Maxim hugged me tightly when I said, "I'll be leaving soon little rabbit." I chuckled when Maxim declared, "I'll call you every day, papa." I tickled Maxim's stomach, then replied, "I hope so, darling. I'll miss you immensely while I'm there." I played with Maxim to my heart's content. The boy fell asleep in my arms. I put Maxim to bed, then grabbed my stuff. Duncan was already waiting for me at the gate. I was too busy checking if I had everything to notice Evander. I winced when Evander caressed my neck and stated, "Be careful, Chris. Your hickeys are showing." I fixed my collar, then uttered, "Arrogant bastard. You are the one who gave them to me. You should have controlled yourself." Evander laughed, then blew me a kiss. I huffed and walked out of the house.

My friend, Richard, invited me to a global business summit. He wanted me to meet his new business partners, and hear my opinion on his new products. I happily accepted his invitation. I could use a break. The flight to England went great. Richard was waiting for us on the tarmac when we arrived. The summit would start the next day. Richard suggested that we should visit a club that night. I took a nap, then got ready to meet Richard. Duncan had families in England. He left to have dinner with them. I called Maxim before leaving the hotel.

Richard took me to a fancy club. I regretted my decision to join Richard when I heard loud cheers around me. Someone was celebrating their birthday at the club. Richard grabbed my hand and led me to a private area. We walked to the back of the room. I sighed in relief when I saw that people were too busy drinking to notice me. I didn't feel like socializing with anyone that night. Richard ordered us some drinks, then started talking about his life and companies. I listened intently to the man, then gave him some advice. Richard had helped me a lot in the past. I valued his friendship.

Richard's wife joined us after a while. I knew her well, so I didn't mind her company. I was getting sleepy. I decided to freshen up before leaving the club. I got startled when a guy crashed into me. I lost my balance and fell into another guy's arms. I frowned when the guy hugged me tightly and uttered, "You smell heavenly. Please, forgive my friend. He gets clumsy when he is drunk." I pushed the guy away when he tried to engulf me in his pheromones. "Why do I have to run into such awful dominant alphas?" I thought while walking out of the club. "Find out who he is," was the last thing I heard the dominant alpha say to his assistant.

My phone rang the moment I got into the car. I sighed when I recognized Evander's number. I put my phone on silent, then closed my eyes. Evander would contact Duncan if he needed to talk to me about something serious. I took a shower and went to bed when I reached the hotel. I got busy with work and the conference the next day. Everyone gathered at the Plasterers' Hall after the summit was over. It was pretty late. I had dinner before socializing with the guests. It was nice to meet old friends. A lot of people approached me with their business ideas and ventures. I decided to take a break after a while. Duncan advised me to visit the garden. The place was beautiful, according to him. I walked straight to the area.

I was about to sit on a bench when I noticed the dominant alpha from the night before. The guy smirked and said, "It's nice to see you again, my friend." I chuckled, then uttered, "I'm not your friend, sir. I came here to relax. So can you stay quiet for a moment?" The alpha grabbed my hand and stated, "I couldn't sleep last night. Your scent haunted my dreams. Is it possible that you are my pair?" I pulled my hand away and replied, "Can't you see that I'm wearing a wedding band? Why does it feel like you're fooling me? Do you not know who I am?" The alpha didn't answer my questions. I couldn't relax with the man around. The alpha grabbed my arm when I tried to leave. The guy growled and uttered, "If you are married, then why can't I pick up your husband's scent on you?"

I loosened my tie, then unbuttoned my shirt. I pointed at the hickeys on my neck and asked, "Does this prove I have a mate?" The alpha laughed, then uttered, "You are a cheeky one, I see." I was about to leave when I heard Richard say, "Good evening, prince Ulrich. I hope you are enjoying your stay." Ulrich pointed at me and asked, "Do you know this guy, Richard? He caught my attention. I want to be his friend now." Richard put his hand on my shoulder and stated, "Yes, your majesty. Christopher and I are close." Duncan walked over to me suddenly and said, "Maxim has been looking for you, sir. Please, check your phone." I grabbed my phone and instantly called the little boy. Maxim was happy to hear my voice. I could see that he was missing me. I promised Maxim to return home early. Evander took the phone from the boy and said, "You don't have to listen to Maxim. Enjoy your trip. We will wait patiently for your return."

I sighed and said before turning off my phone, "I got to go, Evander. See you soon. Bye." I didn't want to see Ulrich. I left the party without saying goodbye to Richard. I went to Richard's office to check his new products the next day. I ran into Ulrich while I was leaving. It seemed like we were bound to meet each other. Ulrich didn't make any distasteful remarks this time. He politely asked me to have dinner with him. I denied his request immediately. Evander's mother had asked me to buy her some things. I had to visit several shops to fulfill her wish. I was surprised to see Ulrich at a toy shop with some kids.

The kids were wearing uniforms with a symbol of an orphanage on them. Ulrich treated all the kids equally. He bought them whatever their heart's desired. I decided to leave before he noticed me. Ulrich hugged me from behind suddenly and yelled, "Caught you. I told you we belonged together." I growled and asked, "What the hell do you think you are doing? Are you a kid?" Ulrich chuckled and replied, "Sorry, I was joking. You are always frowning and looking serious. I wanted to make you laugh." I cursed myself for thinking that Ulrich was a good guy. I needed to leave before Ulrich did something stupid again. I took a step back and said, "I don't care about who you are, Ulrich. I don't want to be your friend. So stay as far away as possible from me." Ulrich smiled and stated, "Richard told me everything about you last night. I feel stupid for not recognizing the richest man in the world. I hope you will consider marrying me if you ever get divorced."

I shook my head and replied, "You have a lot of suitors, prince Ulrich. I don't know why you are so obsessed with boring me. Forget about me and find an omega. Omega's love to serve their mates." Ulrich pulled me closer and whispered in my ear, "I heard your marriage is a sham. I'll be around to console you when everything falls apart. See you soon." I had heard enough. I left the store in anger. I lost my mind when I saw the headlines of the newspapers the next day. All the articles were about Ulrich and me.

It seemed like Ulrich wasn't the only one who hadn't recognized me. I was getting addressed as the prince's love interest by the journalists. I winced when I saw the photo of Ulrich hugging me in the club. Someone was stalking Ulrich. He should have been more careful. Evander would probably not care about articles, but I did. I was afraid of what people would think about me. I asked Duncan to contact all the journalists. It was best to handle the problem as soon as possible.

Hi guys. I hope that you guys enjoyed this installment. Ulrich is not going anywhere. Evander is out for blood too. Stay safe, and until soon, my friends.