Chapter 19. Catastrophe Part 2

Christopher's P.O.V

I had a busy day. I was on my way home when my phone rang. I got startled when Evander's father yelled, "You need to come to the Metropolitan Hospital Center, Chris! Evander got hurt. I won't be able to handle things on my own." I could hear Maxim cry in the background. I tried to calm Julius down by saying, "I'll be there in half an hour, father. Try to soothe Maxim. He'll get sick if he keeps on crying like this." I contacted my assistant after talking to Julius. I asked Duncan to find out what had transpired.

I asked my driver to pick up the speed. I groaned when we got stuck in traffic. Duncan called me when I reached the hospital. He managed to get his hands on the candy store's security camera footage. Someone was out to kill Evander and Maxim, and I wanted to know who. I clenched my fist when the culprit took a pill. He didn't want to get caught red-handed. I put my phone away and walked to the information desk. The nurses recognized me immediately. One of the nurses stood up and said, "Come with me, sir. We just moved Mr. King to a private room." I sighed, then asked, "How severe is Mr. King's head injury?" The nurse rubbed the back of her neck and replied, "Mr. King lost his eyesight. He is a dominant alpha. It won't take long for him to recover."

I nodded, then uttered, "Thank you for your service, ma'am." The nurse smiled and stated, "You are welcome, sir." I heard Maxim giggle the moment I opened the door. He had been crying when his grandfather called me. I wondered what had changed in such a short time. My eyes fell on Aiden when I walked into the room. Maxim grabbed Aiden's hand and said, "Uncle Aiden came to play with me when he heard that daddy got hurt, papa." I kissed Maxim's head, then uttered, "Aiden has to take care of patients now, Maxim. He can't play with you any longer." The nurse who had led me to the room chuckled and declared, "Your in-laws hired Aiden to take care of Maxim and Mr. King, sir. You can talk to them about this matter."

Aiden smiled sheepishly at me. I sighed and walked into Evander's room. It was hard for me to see the powerful alpha all helpless. Evander's mother started crying when she saw me. I hugged Lenna and said, "Don't worry, mother. I'm here now. I'll take care of everything." I poured Lenna a glass of water, then asked Julius to follow me to the other room. I frowned when Aiden kissed Maxim's cheek. I picked up the boy, then said to Aiden, "Get out. I'm about to have a private conversation with my father-in-law." Aiden gazed at Julius, then walked out of the room. I stroked Maxim's head and asked Julius, "Why did you hire him, father?" Julius shook his head and replied, "Van's assistant told us about Aiden. We thought it would be better to hire someone who knows the family. You are also busy. I can't expect you to drop everything for our sake."

I stroked Julius's back and said, "I wish you had more faith in me, father. I can easily handle my businesses and the King family affairs. I beg of you, father. Please, give me a chance to repay you for your kindness. I took over my family's businesses when I was seventeen. I can handle anything you throw at me." Julius stared into my eyes and replied, "Okay. Fine, but Aiden stays. And how do you want to handle Van's attack? It will be hard to find the culprits." I smirked, then stated, "Leave it to me. You'll have the names and addresses of the criminals on your desk within a week." Lenna screamed suddenly. Julius and I ran into the room to see what had happened. Evander had regained consciousness. He rubbed his forehead when Maxim yelled, "Daddy!" Maxim wiggled out of my arms, then used his grandmother's chair to climb onto the bed. Evander pulled the little boy into his arms and hugged him tightly. Evander smiled when his mother asked, "Have you regained your eyesight, Van?"

Evander nodded, then replied, "Yes, mom, but my headache has worsened." I pinched Maxim's cheek and stated, "No more yelling in your father's presence, Maxim." Maxim giggled and said, "Okay, papa." Lenna walked out of the room to call a doctor. I winced when she returned with Aiden. Evander gazed at the man and asked, "What are you doing here, Aiden?" Aiden grabbed Evander's hand and replied, "I couldn't help but visit the hospital when I heard you got hurt, Van. I got lucky. Your father hired me before I could ask him if I could see you." I got dispirited when Evander said, "I told my assistant to look for you if one of my family members ever got hurt, Aiden."

I quickly walked out of the room when my phone rang. Duncan greeted me, then said, "We didn't find anything useful at the scene, sir. The truck that almost crushed Maxim has disappeared. And the guy who attacked Mr. King was an orphan and a drug addict. He had been living on the street for years. We have reached a dead end, sir. What would you like me to do now?" I contemplated the situation. It felt like the attack was related to Maxim and not Van. Maxim's biological father's face suddenly flashed into my mind. I ensured no one was listening, then said, "Look into Luca Quint's past. I have a feeling that this has something to do with him."

It was late, and Maxim was hungry. I visited the nurses' station, then went home to get food. Evander was awake when I returned. Aiden was keeping him company. I handed the food to Aiden and said, "I need to talk to Evander. Take this and go do your job." Aiden grabbed the bag, then left. Evander sighed, then asked, "Why are you so cruel to Aiden?" I was not in the mood to reply to Evander. I grabbed Van's hand and asked, "How are you feeling now?" Evander gazed at the door, then replied, "My ears keep ringing. I wish I could do something about this headache." I nodded, then stated, "I see that Aiden already fed you. Do you want me to give you a sponge bath?" Evander shook his head, then replied, "No, it's okay. Aiden helped me bathe." I was angry, but I didn't let it show.

Evander cupped my face suddenly and said, "Help me find out who did this to me. I will burn them alive when I get out of here." I smirked and replied, "I'm already working on it, Van. Lie down. I will ease your pain." Evander diligently followed my orders. I waited for Evander to fall asleep, then began releasing my pheromones. Evander hummed in satisfaction in his sleep. I was tired. Lenna and Julius were sleeping in the room next to us with Maxim. I lay down on the sofa and fell asleep. Aiden was busy chatting with Evander when I woke up in the morning. He greeted me, then said, "Mr. King is feeling much better today, sir." Van smiled, then asked, "Don't you have work today, Chris?" I nodded, then said, "I want to talk to your doctor before leaving for work." As if on cue, the doctor walked into the room. Evander asked Aiden to leave us alone.

The doctor introduced himself, then declared, "Your injury wasn't as severe as it seemed, sir. We will keep you at the hospital till the swelling goes down. I will prescribe you another medicine for your headaches. Hopefully, this one won't make you dizzy like the previous one." I looked at Evander in shock when he requested the doctor to do a fertility test. I asked Evander after the doctor left, "Why are you suddenly concerned about having children, Van?" Evander gazed into my eyes and replied, "The attack made me realize I'm not invincible, Chris. It's time to have children of my own."

I had a meeting with my and Evander's security team. I left the hospital after spending time with Maxim. I had asked Duncan to meet me at Evander's office. I had been handling Evander's businesses since he got hurt. All the men bowed their heads when I walked into the conference room. I sat at the head of the table and declared, "Let's get down to business. I don't have time to waste." Duncan handed me a file and said, "The men succeeded in finding out who raped Luca Quint, sir. The bar's owner made a copy of the video before selling it to the rapist."

I opened the file and examined the perpetrator's picture. I hadn't seen the man before. Evander's head of security stood up and said, "Carlos Santiago is from Spain, sir. He's a mafia boss and has many connections. Carlos is about to get married to a female alpha. He probably wants to get rid of the child. Maxim is the proof of Carlos's heinous crime. Mr. King is in his way, sir. I won't be surprised if Carlos does something stupid again. Mr. King won't let him live, that's for sure."

I went to work after making arrangements with the men. It was soon time for me to check on Evander and the family. I went straight to the hospital. I lost my mind when I saw Aiden hug Evander. I pushed the man away and yelled, "Stay away from Evander!" Evander grabbed my arm and said, "Leave him alone, Chris. It's my fault. Aiden was trying to console me. My fertility report came. I had an accident when I was young. My sperm count is now too low to produce an alpha child." It seemed like God was against Evander.

Hi guys, I hope everyone enjoyed reading this installment. Stay safe and healthy. Until soon, everyone.