Chapter 32. True family

Christopher's P.O.V

Hi guys, sorry for the wait. Enjoy reading.

I was allowed to go home with the baby after a week. Evander never left my side. I could see how tired he was. I decided not to bother him when I got home. Julius and Lenna had hired another nanny. They asked the girl to concentrate solely on Achilles. I liked to do things myself. It was hard for me to accept help at first. I realized I needed to recuperate when I started trembling one day. I would have fallen to my knees if Evander had not caught me. Evander took a deep breath and asked, "Didn't I tell you to leave everything up to the maids, Chris? What the hell do you think I'm paying them for?"

I knew that I had screwed up, so I stayed quiet. I followed Evander's orders after my check-up. Two months soon flew by. I had, fortunately, recovered fully. I was thinking of going back to work soon. Maxim made a lot of friends at the hospital. We allowed him to have playdates with them now and then. Kaden had sadly moved away. I was dressing Achi when my phone rang. I groaned when I recognized my mother's number. I hadn't talked to her in months. I wanted to ignore the call. I then realized she had the right to meet her grandchildren. My mother sighed in relief when I answered the phone. She greeted me, then said, "It's good that you picked up, son. I was afraid that you had forgotten us." I had read about the empire's successes. I had a feeling my great-grandparents were behind it. Ceasar and his mate had moved to another country.

I greeted my mother and stated, "You guys ditched me, remember? I had been nothing but good to you guys." My mother sighed, then uttered, "It's all in the past now. I know we messed up. We want to make things right now. So when can we see our grandchildren?" I contemplated, then declared, "I have to talk to Evander about it. They are his children as well. I can't make decisions on my own." My mother groaned and said, "Fine, I understand. I'll be waiting for your call." Achi began cooing when I took him in my arms. He was a quiet child. He had more of my traits than Van's. It was almost time for Maxim to return home from his playdate. I decided to wait for him in the kitchen with Achi.

I was surprised to see Lenna behind the stove. Julius was enjoying a cup of coffee at the head of the table. He immediately took Achi out of his bassinet and started cuddling him. The child squealed in delight. I put my hand on Lenna's shoulder and asked, "Do you need help with something, Mother?" Lenna smiled, then answered, "No, dinner is almost ready. I felt like cooking today, so I asked the maids to leave the kitchen work to me." I gazed at all the delicious dishes on the table and stated, "The food looks good, Mother. Thank you for your hard work."

Maxim suddenly ran into the kitchen with a bag full of lemons. He could hardly hold onto it. I quickly grabbed the bag and asked, "Where did you get this from, little rabbit?" Maxim giggled and replied, "Joey's dad asked me to give them to you guys. They have a tree full of them. Can I have lemonade tonight, Papa?" I kissed Maxim's cheek and stated, "Of course, darling. It's pretty healthy. Now go wash up. It's almost time for dinner." Maxim ran out of the kitchen. His nanny would help him get ready for dinner. I had just finished making the lemonade when Evander arrived. He kissed his mother's cheek first, then mine. Evander took off his suit jacket, then rolled up his sleeves. He washed his hands, then dried them off. I wondered why he always made everything look so sexy. Achi was looking with anticipation at his father. The child grabbed his father's thumb when he picked him up. 

Evander stroked Achi's head and asked, "Is Maxim home?" I nodded and replied, "Yes, he returned a while ago. He will be down in a minute." Maxim couldn't keep his eyes open during dinner. I decided to feed him. The boy fell asleep in my arms. I put him to bed, then went back to finish my dinner. The baby had slept during the day, so he was still awake. Julius tickled Achi's tummy and stated, "It's Maxim's birthday soon, Van. How are you guys planning to handle it? Your mom and I can hire an event planner If you like. You guys have a lot on your plates. We want to lessen the load." Evander gazed at me, then uttered, "We would like that, Dad. Maxim knows what he wants. He will help you guys pick a theme for the party." Lenna grabbed my hand and asked, "Are you sure about this, Chris?" I smiled and replied, "Yes, Mother. I'm catching up on work at the moment. I have a stack of financial reports on my desk that I need to check. It's grueling going through them one by one. So I appreciate your help."