Chapter 30. A difficult decision

Evander's P.O.V

Chris kept wallowing in self-pity. I could understand his sentiment. I was afraid to lose my child too. I sighed when Maxim asked, "Is Papa in pain because of me, Daddy?" I shouldn't have tackled him this afternoon. I'm sorry." Chris motioned Maxim to come forward. He grabbed the water and rinsed his mouth. He handed the empty bottle to me, then hugged our child. Maxim sighed in relief when Chris said, "It has nothing to do with you, darling. I'll be fine in a minute." Something didn't feel right. Wasn't Chris supposed to be strong? Carrying a child should have been a piece of cake to him.

I grabbed Chris's arm and asked, "The elder didn't mention Aiden. How come he didn't know Aiden tried to break us up? And why is there an omega suddenly in the picture? It doesn't add up. I can feel it in my soul that I don't have a connection with him." Chris started laughing like a maniac suddenly. Maxim quickly hid behind me. I nodded when my son uttered, "That's not Papa. He would never laugh like that." I was about to grab Maxim when an alpha appeared. The man scooped up Maxim and threw him in the air. I stood up and yelled, "Give me back my child!"

I frowned when the man declared, "Our great-grandchild is such a cutie, Antonius. It makes me want to eat him up." Maxim gasped and yelled, "Safe me, Daddy!" I turned to face Chris. I wondered why he was letting a stranger mistreat our child. I got startled when I saw the man standing behind me. The man was a carbon copy of Chris. He was only older than us. The man's grey hair shone brightly in the moonlight. I could instantly sense that he was Chris's great-grandfather. Maxim forgot about his fears when the alpha began tickling him. I bowed to Antonius and declared, "I want to see my mate now. I'm sure our child would too."

Antonius smiled and uttered, "What's the hurry? Christopher is safe. See for yourself." An image of Chris suddenly flashed through my mind. Christopher was indeed safe. He was enjoying the cold breeze and night sky not far from us. I gazed at Maxim and stated, "You two are Chris's great-grandparents, I presume. What would you like to talk to me about?" The alpha hit my back and declared, "Christopher always told us you were smart, Evander, but I didn't believe him. I hate alphas who think they are better than others." I took Maxim out of the alpha's arms and said, "I have changed since I met Chris. Does he know about this? It would have been nice to know you two were still haunting people." Antonius chuckled and said, "Come, Stefanus. It's time to explain things to the alpha."

Stefanus stroked Maxim's head and stated, "You did a great job raising him, Evander. Maxim will change the fate of people with the help of Christopher. Alpha, omega, and betas will stand on equal footing because of him in the future." I gazed at my child. I already knew he would do great deeds in the future. Maxim had fallen asleep. I wrapped him in a blanket and said, "Let's not keep Chris waiting." It started raining suddenly. We took shelter in a gazebo. Stefanus kissed his mate's temple and declared, "I'll start first, honey." Antonius nodded and stated, "Go ahead." Stefanus gazed at Maxim and uttered, "You won't like what I'm about to tell you, but try to keep calm. It's regarding your mate, after all." Maxim whimpered and whispered, "Papa!" I kissed Maxim's head and declared, "We will see him soon, sweetheart."

Stefanus grabbed his mate's hand and said, "Antonius is a descendant of the dragon race, Evander. That is why we are still alive. We were asked not to meddle in our family's business after we left. We couldn't stay quiet when we saw how troubled Chris was. He's on the verge of collapse. The boy will die if we don't do something to save his soul. Chris has been enduring things since he was a child. He is like a ticking time bomb now. I wish we hadn't left him alone. I never expected my eldest son to be this greedy. I guess he inherited the worst parts of me." I realized something suddenly. I put my hand up to stop Stefanus from talking. The man scowled and asked, "Is there something wrong?" I nodded, then declared, "I know why Chris's parents treat him differently. Chris is your child, not theirs. That's why our child was never in danger." The men gazed at each other, then uttered in unison, "You are right."

Antonius chuckled and stated, "I never wanted another child, but we still had to fulfill our promise to our ancestors. I asked Petra to carry the child first. She told me she couldn't bear the responsibility. Petra promised to keep my child healthy and safe. She did her best, in the beginning, to raise the child right. I was proud of her. Things changed when Ceasar was born. We wanted to step in but couldn't. Now we finally have a chance to help our child. And only because he prayed for it on his knees and in tears." I shook my head and asked, "So, Chris doesn't know you guys are his birth parents?" Antonius glared at me and answered, "He will find out soon. Don't tell him anything yet." I chuckled and said, "It's not my place to share this information with him. Can you tell me why you guys are being so dramatic?"

Antonius nodded, then declared, "As we said before, Christopher is not in his right mind right now. It's not healthy for the child. He needs to get away from everything, everyone, and you. We want him to carry our legacy. He won't be able to survive in this state. We love our child, and we'll make sure he's the happy and healthy boy we once left behind." I growled and asked, "Why should I separate from Chris? We are mates. I'm the only one who can lift his spirits." Antonius huffed and asked, "Are you ready to accept our son as he is now, Evander? The upcoming months will be hell for you both. Our youngest grandson has, fortunately, inherited the dragon race traits. Give Christopher a chance to heal himself. You will otherwise lose him." I got up and yelled, "I want to know how Christopher feels about all this!" 

I got startled when Chris uttered, "I agree with my great-grandparents. You and I need to deal with some things before we can raise a family together." I hugged Maxim tightly and asked Chris, "How can you make such a harsh decision, Chris? What about Maxim and me?" Chris cupped my face and said, "Look into my eyes, darling. Do I look happy to you?" I could sense how dark Chris's soul had gotten. Chris kissed me and stated, "It's not your fault, Van. I have been bottling things up for years. I lost my mind when I realized the attacks on our relationship would never stop. I should have been confident, but I wavered instead. I bet it sometimes happens to you too. Use this time to strengthen your feelings for me, babe. I will do the same. Don't worry about the kids. Maxim won't even notice I'm gone."

I threw my arm around Chris and uttered, "Don't do this, Chris. We just got together. I need you, please." Images suddenly started flashing through my mind. I knew it was Stefanus's doing. I gasped when I saw what Ceasar was scheming. I couldn't let Chris deal with so much drama in his condition. I kissed Chris's cheek and said, "I understand, sweetheart. Come back when you are ready. I will be waiting for you." Chris kissed Maxim's forehead and disappeared. Antonius stroked my back and stated, "We will deal with our family ourselves, Evander. It's about time they got what they deserve. Focus on getting rid of all the vultures around you. That omega boy will approach you soon." I kissed my son's cheek and uttered in determination, "Everyone will soon know that I have changed. Christopher is my husband, mate, and life."

The mansion felt like a prison when I got home. I bathed Maxim and put him to bed. I took a shower, then grabbed a bottle of whiskey. It was now my turn to wallow in self-pity. Chris sent me messages every day to let me know he was alright. He hadn't appeared at work since he left. I missed him like crazy but didn't let it affect my work. Duncan was handling the business in his stead. Maxim disappeared from time to time. I knew he was with his father, so I didn't worry too much. It was soon time for my parents to return. I told them about what had transpired. I decided to welcome my parents at the airport.

Maxim was looking forward to seeing his grandparents. I, fortunately, hadn't seen Chris's parents again. Maxim jumped out of the car when we reached the airport. The jet had arrived. My parents walked out of the plane while laughing. I frowned when I recognized the man they were talking to. The omega had finally made his appearance. My father scooped up Maxim and said, "This is Mattew Gill, son. He got stranded in Spain, so we gave him a lift." I frowned and uttered, "I hope he doesn't expect me to drop him off at home because I'm busy." The omega looked at me in shock. I walked away before he could reply.

Hi guys, thanks for reading. I hope you all are healthy. I have been having problems with my allergies. Stay safe, and until soon.