Chapter 14. Evander's conviction

Evander's P.O.V

I had invited Chris to a party. I got bored greeting people after a while. Everyone wanted to get to know me after I got married to Chris. Chris, on the other hand, seemed to be enjoying himself. I went to the garden to relax when I got a headache. I was admiring the moon when someone called out to me. I smiled when I recognized Aiden's voice. I couldn't understand why I liked the guy. I had even helped Aiden get a decent apartment. Aiden offered me an Aspirin when he heard I had a headache. I never accepted anything from strangers. I asked Aiden to bring me food instead. The guy instantly walked to the buffet table to fulfill my wish.

My headache worsened after Aiden left. I wanted to return home as soon as possible. I went to look for Chris. I sighed when I saw that he was busy. Chris was chatting with his friend in the common area. I didn't want to drag Chris away when he was having a good time. So I asked him if I could use his lap as a pillow. Chris helped me take an Aspirin, then uttered, "Go ahead." I got a whiff of Chris's pheromones when I closed my eyes. Chris was trying to ease my pain. I appreciated his efforts.

My whole body instantly started to relax. I grasped Chris's hand and fell into a deep slumber. My eyes fell on Chris's gorgeous face when I woke up. He was busy texting someone. I caressed Chris's cheek to draw his attention. Chris smiled and uttered, "Ah. You are finally awake." I gazed at the sofa on the opposite side of us and asked, "Where is your friend?" Chris put his phone away and replied, "His husband came to get him. He left right after you fell asleep. How are you feeling now?" I looked at my watch, then answered, "Good. Thank you for healing me. How long was I asleep for?" Chris fixed my tie and said, "You were asleep for almost an hour, and you are welcome. My father is also at the party. He invited me to his office tomorrow. He probably wants to ask me how I managed to get rich so quickly."

I frowned, then asked, "Are you going to visit him?" Chris chuckled, then replied, "No. I have a busy day tomorrow. My father can't expect me to drop everything just because he needs me." I then noticed the Victorian silver plate on the table. Aiden approached us before I could open the plate's lid. He grinned, then asked, "Did you have a good nap, sir?" I ran my fingers through my hair and uttered, "Yes. Thank you for asking." Aiden grabbed the plate and stated, "The meal is already cold, sir. Could you wait a minute? I'll get you another plate of food." I gazed at Chris and asked, "Have you already eaten, Chris?" Christopher shook his head and answered, "No. Someone was sleeping on my lap, which made it hard for me to move." I grabbed Chris's hand and said, "It's alright, Aiden. You don't have to bring me food. My husband and I are about to get it ourselves. Thanks for your help. See you later."

I dragged Chris to the buffet table. We were about to dish out food when Chris's father approached us. Leonard grabbed Christopher's arm and declared, "I need to talk to you, Chris." Chris pushed his father's hand away and said, "It's late, and I'm hungry. Can't it wait till I'm comfortable and free, dad?" Leonard huffed and answered, "No. We have to talk about it now." I growled and yelled, "Let your son breathe, Leonard!" Everyone turned to gaze at us. Chris put his plate down and uttered, "Alright, dad. Let's see what's so important that it can't wait." I shook my head while looking at Chris. I had expected Chris to return immediately, but he didn't. I got worried about Chris. So I went to look for him. Leonard had taken Chris to a vacant room. I frowned when I heard Leonard say, "I hadn't expected you to act like this in front of so many people, son."

Chris laughed, then asked, "Like what, dad? Isn't Evander supposed to be my loving husband in people's eyes? Didn't you guys tell me to make our relationship look as natural as possible? I can't see what's wrong with what I just did." Leonard growled and yelled, "Don't act like you don't know how this will end! Your mother was right about you being madly in love with Evander, wasn't she, Chris? Listen to me, son. I love you dearly and don't want you to get hurt. Evander is a dominant alpha like me. It's in our nature to want a mate who will stay home to look after the family. You are a businessman through and through. If you are never home, then how will you fulfill your duties? Forget about Evander, my child. He wouldn't accept you even if he loved you."

Chris put his head down and replied, "Don't you think I know that, dad? I'm a carrier. So I'm naturally attracted to him. That doesn't mean that I will act on it. I know what I'm doing. Evander has shown me countless times that he's not interested in me. Don't worry about me. Concentrate on running the empire because Ceasar doesn't care about the business." Leonard pulled Chris into his arms and hugged him tightly. Christopher was too stunned to speak. Leonard rubbed Chris's back and declared, "Good luck with everything, son. I won't bother you again." I had heard enough. I decided to leave. It seemed like Leonard had read my mind. Chris wasn't the kind of mate I wanted. My parents were getting old. I needed to marry someone who would manage the household in my stead.

Chris grabbed a plate when he returned and uttered, "Let's eat, Van." Chris and I enjoyed our meal in the garden. We left the party after chatting with our acquaintances for a bit. Chris went straight to his room when we arrived. Chris knocked on my door in his pajamas. He yawned, then said, "Maxim is sleeping in my bed. I just noticed him. What do you want me to do with him?" I could see how tired Chris was. What Leonard had said before flashed into my mind. I sighed and stated, "It's alright. He can sleep with you tonight." Chris nodded, then walked away. I couldn't sleep that night. I kept thinking about Chris. I kept asking myself if the guy truly loved me.

Everyone was already at the table when I went downstairs for breakfast. Chris was busy feeding Maxim. My parents were taking the boy shopping that morning. Maxim climbed onto my lap after eating, then asked, "Are you coming with us, daddy?" I stroked the boy's head, then answered, "No, not today, baby boy. I have to be at our film studio by ten o'clock." Maxim nodded, then turned to face Chris. Chris kissed the boy's forehead and uttered, "I have to leave now little rabbit. See you tonight." Maxim leaned his head against my chest, then replied, "Okay, papa." The little boy truly needed some friends. I buried myself in work after visiting the film studio. It was soon time for me to go home. I hadn't heard anything from Chris the whole day.

Maxim ran to me while crying when I walked into the house. He grabbed my hand and said, "It's late, and papa hasn't come home yet. He told me that he would have dinner with us. Can you find out where he is, daddy?" Things were getting out of hand. Leonard was right to be concerned. Maxim was too attached to Chris. Chris didn't pick up his phone when I called him. I asked one of my men to look into the matter. Sam told me that Chris was still at his office. Maxim didn't want to eat without Chris. I had to force him to eat a sandwich. The boy cried himself to sleep that night.

Chris walked into the house at eleven-thirty. He got startled when I said, "You shouldn't make promises to a child that you can't keep, Christopher." Chris rubbed his face in frustration and declared, "I'm sorry, Van. My chief of staff got into an accident during work. He got badly hurt. He has worked for me for years now. I wanted to support his loved ones by being there for them. I accompanied them to the hospital and stayed with them until now. Don is fortunately out of immediate danger. How is Maxim doing?" I couldn't believe that Chris was lying to me. I stuck my hands in my pockets and answered, "You should talk to him in the morning. He cried the whole night. I'm afraid that he'll get sick if you ever leave. Try to distance yourself from him from now on."

Chris scowled, then asked, "What are you talking about, Evander? I would never do anything to hurt Maxim. I love the boy like my own child." I gazed at Chris and said, "Your work will always come first, Chris. He should learn to live without you." Chris clutched his hair in anger and yelled, "Why can't I catch a break, damn it?" I frowned when Christopher stroked his chest and said, "You are Maxim's father. I will honor your wish. Now get out of my way. I'm tired." My phone rang when I was about to go to bed. Sam apologized for disturbing me, then stated, "I was wrong earlier, sir. Mr. Eckhart had been with the Bing family at the hospital since five o'clock. His driver stayed at the company to assist his assistant Duncan." I felt like an idiot for doubting Chris.

I turned off my phone, then went to Chris's room. Chris had left the door open. He knew that Maxim would come looking for him. Chris was in the shower. I decided to wait for him. I dozed off while waiting. It had already been half an hour, and Chris hadn't come out yet. I walked into the bathroom to check on him. I sprang into action when I saw Chris lying on the bathroom floor. I picked up Chris and carried him to the bed. I checked his temperature and heartbeat. I sighed in relief when everything seemed to be alright. Chris seemed to be asleep. I dried Chris off and covered him with a blanket. I sighed while staring at Chris. I suddenly got overwhelmed by Chris's pheromones. I took a step back when I got sexually aroused. I took a deep breath and growled in anger, "Shit. He is in rut. I have got to get out of here before I do something stupid."

Hi guys. I hope everyone is safe and well. I tried to make the installment as entertaining as possible. Have a great day, my friends, and until soon.