Chapter 21. Catastrophe Part 4

Christopher's P.O.V

I lost the will to move when I heard I was pregnant. My mother's face flashed into my mind. She would hate me for overstepping my boundaries. I had promised her not to sleep with Evander. Dr. Stem grabbed my shoulder, then shook me. He smiled, then stated, "Hey, it's alright. You don't have to be afraid. Soren is a great doctor. He will monitor your pregnancy and notify you immediately if something's wrong." Maxim suddenly opened his eyes and said, "I'm hungry, papa." I smiled at the doctor and uttered, "Can you keep this a secret for now, doctor? My husband hasn't recovered yet. I will tell him about the baby when he gets discharged."

The doctor nodded and said, "Okay, but don't hide it from him for too long. Mr. King is a dominant alpha. He might take it the wrong way." I sighed while reading the results. It seemed like I was only a month pregnant. I had never thought I would be in such a situation one day. I thanked the doctor, then walked out of his office. My mind was a mess. I didn't want Maxim to wait for food, so I went to the cafeteria. I bought the boy whatever he desired, then helped him eat. I didn't have an appetite, but I still tried to consume something. I didn't want my unborn child to suffer because of me. Maxim hid behind me when we were about to leave the cafeteria.

I turned to face him and asked, "Is there something wrong, baby boy?" Maxim nodded and replied, "I just saw my Luca papa. He has a big tummy." I picked up Maxim, then scanned my surroundings. I hugged Maxim tightly when I spotted Luca. The guy was walking straight towards us. Luca grinned and said, "Hi, my sweet darling." Maxim stuck his face in the crook of my neck and replied, "Hi." Luca tried to grab Maxim. The boy pushed his biological father's hands away and yelled, "No!" Luca was too stunned to speak. He grasped Maxim's hand and stated, "I know I haven't visited you in a while, but you don't have to act like this, Maxim."

Maxim instantly began crying. I pushed Luca and said, "Let go of his hand. Can't you see you are hurting him?" Maxim clutched my tie and cried, "I want my daddy!" Luca rubbed his belly and asked, "What is wrong with him? Maxim has never behaved this way." Maxim got startled when Luca's mate yelled, "What the hell is going on here? Can't you guys see that you are causing a commotion?" I shook my head and declared, "I'm leaving with my child. If you people can't see why Maxim is upset, then you're not fit to be parents." I looked at Maxim in shock when he wiped his tears and said to his father, "You didn't want me, but you want them? I'm happy with daddy, papa, grandma, and grandpa, but it still hurts. I hate you."

Maxim's face had turned red from all the crying. I quickly carried him to the car. I cleaned the little boy's face, then said, "It doesn't matter that your biological father abandoned you, Maxim. You are with people now who love you unconditionally." Maxim grinned and replied, "I know, papa. I love them too." Maxim fell asleep during the ride to the hospital. I looked in fear at the child. What if my child has to suffer like Maxim because of his father? I thought. I would rather remarry than let my child go through something like that.

Julius and Lenna were waiting in the family room for us. Maxim threw himself at his grandmother. The woman caught the boy, then showered him with kisses. Julius greeted me, then asked, "Is everything alright, Chris? You look a little spooked." I smiled at Julius, then replied, "I'm fine, father. I'm just a little tired, that's all." Julius nodded, then stated, "Dr. Stem already mailed us Maxim's results. It seems like he's growing well. The child had trouble gaining weight in the past. Maxim is a happy, healthy boy now." Lenna pinched Maxim's cheek and said, "I'm happy too. Thank you for taking care of the little troublemaker, Chris. You can go to bed early tonight. Van got a clean bill of health. He can go home tomorrow."

I nodded, then uttered, "That's great news, mother." I hadn't realized that Julius had been staring at me. The man chuckled and said, "You can go in, Chris. Van is alone. Aiden went to get food for us." I took a deep breath, then walked into Evander's room. My heart almost jumped out of my chest when I saw Van. He was sleeping peacefully on the window sill. Evander looked like a model straight out of a magazine. I stuck my hands in my pockets and stared at him. I suddenly received a text from Duncan. It seemed like my family had suffered another loss. I was too stressed to think about the empire.