Chapter 17. Jealousy or love?

Evander's P.O.V

I had just arrived at my office when my assistant Syl approached me. He handed me a stack of newspapers and said, "Mr. Eckhart is in the papers today, sir." I frowned when I read the title, "The prince's new love interest." The pictures of Chris and the prince made me sick. I could see that they were candid photos. I threw the newspapers in the bin and asked, "Who is this prince they are talking about, Syl? I haven't seen him before." Syl grabbed his tablet and replied, "He lived in the countryside till a year ago, sir. Prince Ulrich had to abandon his country home when his father died. I heard that the prince is in trouble. All his companies are struggling to meet their business quota."

I leaned back in my chair and said, "Get the private jet ready. I'm going to England with Maxim." Syl looked in astonishment at me. He smiled and stated, "As you wish, sir. Maxim will be happy to see Mr. Eckhart." I had already planned to work from home for the rest of the week. It wouldn't be a problem to organize things from another location. Maxim was playing in the garden when I arrived home. He climbed onto my lap the moment I sat down. I kissed the boy's head and greeted my parents. My mother poured me a glass of water, then asked, "How was your day, Van?"

I sighed and replied, "It was terrible. I couldn't get my mind off Chris. You guys saw the newspapers, right? Do you think that the prince is trying to use him?" My father laughed, then asked, "What's wrong, Van? Are you jealous, or is it something else?" I huffed, then said to my father, "Stop joking around, dad. I have never romantically thought of Chris." My parents laughed when I told them about my trip to England. My mother stroked my back and asked, "What's wrong, Van? Don't you trust Chris, love?" I contemplated a bit, then replied, "It's not about that, mom. I don't want Chris to get hurt, that's all."

My parents were struggling to understand my feelings. I was in the same boat as them. I couldn't comprehend why I was so irked by the photos and articles. Chris already took care of the matter. But I still wanted to ensure that issues like this didn't arise again. I asked my father to oversee things while I was away. Maxim squealed with delight when we reached the airport. We hadn't been on a trip in a while. He slept like a log during the whole flight. I hadn't notified Chris about our arrival. I was eager to see his reaction. We arrived early in the morning. I asked the driver to take us straight to the hotel.

I had asked Syl to book a master suite with two or more bedrooms. Chris had been staying in a single room. Maxim would surely not leave him alone. Chris could move in with us if he wanted to. I got Maxim out of the car, then walked to the front desk. The boy was, fortunately, still asleep. The hotel manager instantly recognized me. He apologized for not welcoming me, then led me to Chris's room. I knocked on the door, then waited for Chris to respond. There was no reply, so I tried again. The blood drained from my face when Ulrich opened the door half-naked. The man rubbed his eyes and asked, "Can I help you?" I was too stunned to speak. I was sure that I was at the right door. I took a deep breath, then said, "No. I'm sorry to disturb you. I was looking for someone else." Ulrich nodded, then slammed the door shut.

I tried not to imagine him with Chris. I was on my way to the top floor when Maxim giggled and whispered, "Papa." I stroked the boy's head, then stated, "It's alright, Maxim. Your dad is here. You will surely have a good time while we are in England." I was too busy consoling Maxim to notice that we had arrived. My heart skipped a beat when Chris uttered, "Evander?" I slowly looked up. Chris was standing in his gym clothes in front of me. The hotel's gym was on the roof. Maxim instantly jumped into Chris's arms. The boy rubbed his face against Chris's chest and said, "I missed you, papa." Chris kissed the boy's forehead, then asked, "What are you guys doing here, Evander?" I stepped out of the elevator, then replied, "We needed a vacation too. I see that you have been enjoying yourself."

I could see that Chris was annoyed by my reply. I was glad that he didn't make any remarks. I didn't feel like fighting in front of my child. Chris uttered, "Let's go to my room for now," when Maxim declared he wanted to pee. I grabbed Maxim, then stated, "It's alright. You have a guest. You should go take care of him." Chris scowled, then asked, "What the hell are you talking about, Evander?" He grasped my hand, then dragged me to a hotel suite. I cursed myself when Chris grabbed his key and said, "I have been staying in this room since I arrived. Richard forgot to tell me that he had booked a suite for me. He and his family visit me often, so I decided to stay in this room. I was on my way to the gym when I noticed you guys."

I put Maxim down, then hugged Chris from behind. The boy ran into the bathroom. Chris's heart started to beat faster. I kissed Chris's neck and stated, "It's okay. I won't hurt you. I want to apologize to you. I lost my mind when I saw Ulrich in the other room. You asked me not to sleep around while we are still married. I honored your request. And to answer your question from earlier. Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing here. I saw the newspapers and came running to your rescue." Chris pushed me away, then said, "I can take care of myself, Evander. Your actions show me that you don't trust me. I don't want to be friends with someone who doesn't respect my feelings."

Chris left when Maxim called out to him. I left a note for Chris, then went to my room. I took a shower, then pondered about my and Chris's relationship. I had promised myself not to meddle in Chris's business. I wondered why it was so difficult for me to stay away from the man. I fell asleep after a while. I woke up late in the evening. Chris was busy chasing Maxim around the room. Chris suddenly bumped into a chair. He fell on the floor. Maxim gasped, then yelled, "Papa!" I jumped off the bed to check on Chris. A shiver ran down my spine when Chris began laughing. I hadn't heard the man laugh before. It was music to my ears. Maxim giggled, then began tickling Chris. I silently gazed at the two. I got distracted when someone knocked on the door. It was one of my bodyguards. Sloan greeted me, then handed me an invitation card. The Chamber of Commerce had invited Chris and me to a party.

People would die to attend a party like this, but I didn't feel like going. Chris grabbed the invitation card and said, "It seems like someone told them you are here. Let's attend the party. I need to find out something. The nanny can take care of Maxim in our absence." I didn't want to disappoint Chris, so I agreed to join him. Chris and I went sightseeing with Maxim the next day, then got ready for the party. Chris fixed my collar, then stated, "I see you got hooked on my men's brooches." I patted Chris's cheek and replied, "They are as great as their designer. So why not buy more?" Chris shook his head, then uttered, "I haven't forgiven you yet for doubting me, Evander." I sighed while looking in the mirror. My mother was right. Chris and I looked great together.

We put Maxim to bed, then left for the party. Chris's friend Richard was the first one to greet me. The man smiled, then declared, "I have been waiting to meet you, sir. You are such a force to be reckoned with." Chris chuckled and said, "You never told me you were Evander's fan, Richard." Richard whispered something in Chris's ear, then laughed. Chris shook his head, then stated, "Don't you have any shame, Richard. You are married with kids. Why don't you concentrate on them instead of on my husband?" Richard disappeared when his wife showed up.

We greeted everyone, then had dinner together. We had a chance to discuss matters with the organizers after dinner. People started dancing after the discussions were over. The whole room went quiet after a while. I frowned when Ulrich walked into the hall with his gang. Chris was too busy chatting with his friend to notice him. I frowned when Ulrich knelt before Chris and asked, "May I have this dance, sir?" Chris looked at the man in shock. He motioned in my direction and said, "Meet my husband, Evander King, prince Ulrich." Ulrich winced when he heard my name. He smirked, then stated, "I'm sure your husband won't mind if you danced with me, Chris. I'm a decent man, after all."

I grabbed Chris's hand, then pulled him up. I kissed Chris intensely, then gazed at Ulrich. Ulrich clenched his fists when I uttered, "Piss off before I crush you like an ant." I led Chris to the dancefloor, then pulled him close to me. Chris threw his arms around me and asked, "Why do you keep giving me false hope, Van?" I gazed into Chris's eyes and asked, "What do you mean?" Chris put his head down and replied, "It's nothing. I'm just being foolish." Everyone started whistling when I cupped Chris's face and kissed him passionately.

Hi guys, thanks for reading. Stay safe and until soon.