Chapter 29. Betrayal

Evander's P.O.V

I wanted Chris to hear what the elder had to say. I woke up Chris after a few minutes and told him who I had in custody. Chris looked in astonishment at me. He kissed my cheek, then uttered, "I'll be ready in twenty minutes. What are you planning to do with Maxim? He will be worried if he doesn't see us in the morning." I ran my fingers through Chris's hair and replied, "We will take him to the beach when we return. He deserves to have some fun." I took a shower after talking to Maxim's nanny.

Chris was ready to leave by the time I had finished getting dressed. He grabbed my hand and said, "I hope we get the answers we seek today, Van." I nodded, then led Chris to the car. Chris looked questioningly at me when we reached my office building. I threw my arms around Chris and stated, "It's the safest place to talk to him. Who knows what kind of power he is hiding?" Syl greeted us, then declared, "The elder hasn't had breakfast yet, sir. He refused to order food at the restaurant." I huffed and asked, "Did he tell you why?" Syl gazed at the elder and replied, "Elder Bruno Camden told me that he won't accept anything from the man who is about to kill him."

I chuckled, then uttered, "Come, Chris. Let's go talk to Bruno." The elder smirked when he saw Chris. He leaned forward, then stated, "Good morning, Christopher. Good job in hiding your discomfort." I grasped Chris's arm and asked, "What is he talking about, babe?" Chris shook his head and replied, "It's nothing, Van. My nausea has gotten worse lately. I can't eat as much as I did before. That's all. I'm taking a remedy for it." I sighed, then said, "Tell me when it gets unbearable. I think tube feeding is the best option in such situations."

I frowned when the elder uttered, "Worry about yourself first, Mr. King. Your so-called mate is not what he seems." I had promised Chris to control myself. I took a seat and stated, "Go ahead, Bruno. You already know that you won't leave here on your two feet. So start spilling your guts, or I will spill them for you. And don't try to act innocent. My men have worked hard to gather evidence against you. No one will bat an eye if we dump you in the ocean."

Bruno sighed, then uttered, "Fulfilling people's wishes is not a crime, Mr. King. Look at your mate, for example." I instantly gazed in Chris's direction. The elder laughed, then stated, "I'm not talking about Christopher, Mr. King. He is far from being your true mate." Chris lost his temper. He growled, then yelled, "I have had enough of your lies. Did my parents ask you to do this?" Bruno smirked, "I have done many sinful things for your family, but this is not one of them. What I'm telling you is the truth. Mr. King deserves to know what happened at the matchmaking event." Chris seemed troubled. I laced my fingers through his and said, "No matter what happens. I'll always be by your side, Chris. You are the one my soul wants and needs."

Bruno seemed amused. He smirked and asked, "Should I start now?" I nodded, then stated, "It better not be some bullshit, Bruno." Bruno gazed at Chris and said, "You were supposed to meet your true mate and not him that night. The omega is from a poverty-stricken family. I had to finance their trip to the capital. I thought you would sense Mattew when you arrived. I knew something was wrong when I couldn't find Mattew anywhere. I lost my mind when I heard that Mattew's father got hit by a drunk driver in front of the venue. I got busy helping them and missed my chance to persuade the organizers. You got matched with Christopher in my absence. I have been trying to keep you two apart but with no luck. It seems like today is the day I can finally fulfill my best friend's wish. His only child will lead a life of comfort from now on."

I laughed, then asked Bruno, "What makes you think I'll accept the omega? I have already chosen Chris as my mate. You can't do anything about it." Bruno launched forward and grabbed my arm. Images of the omega started flashing through my mind. I felt immense pain when I saw how hard he had to work to survive. Chris shook me and asked, "Are you alright, Van?" I unintentionally let Chris's hand go and rubbed my chest. I could sense how hurt Chris was by my actions. I needed time to figure out things. Bruno also showed me how many crimes Chris had committed to gain popularity. I didn't mind them because I had done worse things. Chris pushed Bruno back and uttered, "You shouldn't have ruined my relationship with Evander, Bruno. Have you ever considered why I was the one who got matched with Evander and not the omega?"

Bruno glared at Chris and yelled, "I don't care! True mates should be together. You have no right to interfere in other people's lives!" Chris grabbed Bruno's collar and growled, "What about my child then? Doesn't my son have the right to grow up in a loving family?" Bruno laughed, then replied, "Start counting the days, Christopher. The child will die within a few months. My predictions are never wrong. You will crawl back to your parents after it happens." Syl gagged when Chris crushed Bruno's head. I dragged Chris to my bathroom and cleaned his hands. Chris gazed at the mirror and said, "Bruno was right. You deserve to be with your true mate, Van." I huffed and asked, "What are you talking about, Chris? I already gave my life to you." Chris rubbed his face, then replied, "We won't have a connection after the child dies, Van. It's better to cut ties now than later."

I cupped Chris's face and stated, "Don't lose hope yet, darling. And have you forgotten about Maxim? Our boy will survive. I promise." My heart shattered when Chris uttered, "I wonder under which star I was born. I'm tired and want some peace. Why don't you meet the omega to decipher what this is all about? I was sure that we were mates." I kissed Chris passionately. I smiled when the kiss tasted fantastic. I hugged Chris tightly and stated, "Let's go home, babe. Our son is waiting for us." Chris sighed and declared, "I would like to be alone for a while, Evander. Don't worry. I'll be home in the afternoon. We can visit the beach with Maxim then." I didn't want to leave Chris alone, but I had to respect his wishes. I ran my fingers through my hair and asked, "Where are you going, Chris?" Christopher kissed me intensely, then replied, "I'm going to see my great-grandparents. Visiting their graves always eases my mind." I kissed Chris's forehead, then said, "Okay. I'll wait for you at home. Please eat something on your way to the graveyard."

Chris hugged me one last time, then left. I asked my bodyguards to follow him. Chris's men were too loyal to him. They wouldn't tell me anything if Chris had instructed them not to. My men had already removed Bruno's dead body. A private cleaning service was cleaning the mess. I kicked a chair and yelled, "Why did this have to happen now?" My phone started ringing suddenly. Maxim was trying to contact me. I told the boy I was on my way home. Maxim ran to me when I arrived. He peeked behind me and asked, "Where is Papa?" I kissed Maxim's head and said, "He will be home soon. Has your nanny finished packing?"

Maxim hugged my leg and yelled, "Yes, Daddy! Everything is in the van!" I stroked Maxim's head and said, "I'm going to have a snack. Do you want anything, Maxim?" Maxim was about to reply to me when Chris walked into the house. Maxim tackled Chris to the floor and shouted, "Papa's home!" I grabbed the boy and uttered, "Not so rough, little bunny." Chris bit Maxim's cheek and stated, "It's alright, sweetheart. Your papa can take a punch." I caressed Chris's cheek and asked, "Everything okay now?" Chris smiled and replied, "Yes, never been better. Come on, let's have lunch. I'm hungry." We had lunch, then drove to a private beach.

Chris instantly started playing with Maxim. I tried to find out more about Mattew. Chris was right. The sooner I handled the matter, the better. I fell asleep after a while. Chris was gazing at the sunset when I woke up. Maxim was sleeping in his arms. I sat next to Chris and stroked Maxim's head. Chris hummed when I uttered, "Maxim will make such a good big brother." I threw my arm around Chris and declared, "Don't you dare forget that you are the only one for me, Chris. I will never accept Mattew as my mate."

Chris kissed Maxim's head and stated, "It's a matter of your heart and soul, Van. You can't do anything if you feel attracted to Mattew." I was about to ask Chris if he truly trusted me when he began throwing up. Maxim woke up startled. I took the boy out of Chris's arms and said, "Go grab a bottle of water for your father, son." Maxim ran in the direction of the picnic baskets. I stroked Chris's back and said, "Everything will be alright, darling." Chris grabbed my hand and yelled, "No. Nothing will be alright! I don't want to lose you or my darling children!" I felt helpless.

Hi guys, thank you for reading. The next installment will be an exciting one. Mattew will make an appearance. Thank you for always supporting me, and stay safe.