Chapter 1

Hunter is to say the least, unique. She is kind and was the first person out of of the closet in our grade. Since then, many more have come out. Though there are still those ignorant people, they know she will protect anyone they decide to pierce with their words.

Everyone loves her. Almost everyone. Hunter seems genuinely caring and if she is the person she acts like, then she is practically perfect. But perfection doesn't exist therefore she is not who she seems. I don't trust her. No one can be that awesome without having an inner asshole or something.

It's sort of ironic that though I am one of the few that are wary of her, many of my fellow students would love the opportunity that I have.

She sits in front of me in Biology, which is sometimes annoying because everyone comes over to talk to her. And the weird thing is, she remembers things. Little things. That's one of the reasons, the many reasons, everyone is in love with her. For example, she'll remember that your Uncle Fred is in the hospital or something and ask how he's doing. Or that you have a dog that you unoriginally named Spot.

Plus, I have a great view of her butt when she stands up. Straight girls, gay boys, and everyone in between leer at her when she walks by. She doesn't seem to mind. Not that I look at it or anything.

A voice, that gentle voice, lifts me out of my thinking.

"You were staring at my ass," Hunter smiles, amused.

"I was not!" I protest, my face flushing. "I was staring into... space."

"And that space was my butt."

"I wasn't-" I groan, realizing arguing with her is like arguing with one of those punching bags that come back and hit your face. "Ugh. What do you want?"

She frowns at me, "We're partners in this project."

"Aw," I can't seem to resist teasing her. "You chose me? I'm flattered. Do you have a crush on me?" She sputters, her face red.

"No. The teacher chose partners for us, and he paired me with you. Weren't you listening, Stella?"

Wait. She knows my name? "I tuned out."

She nods understandingly. "You were busy staring at my butt."

"Shut up." I fight a grin, to give in and let her see that she made me smile feels like losing. "What do we have to do?"

"We have to go into the woods and record the animals we see. Then we research what the levels used to be back in 1980 and make a chart. We'll have to present."

"Are you sure this isn't an elaborate excuse to take me into the secluded forest for a steamy make out session?"

Some nearby girls giggle, and I smirk at her pink face, knowing they heard me.

The bell rings, cutting off whatever odd moment we just had. I shove my stuff into my backpack and walk out the door, not acknowledging her existence.

I look to see Hunter walking beside me. "Why are you following me?"

"We have a project to do, remember? I'm free and school's now out, so if you don't have anything better to do, we can go there now."

I ignore the weight of the stares of the entire student population on me. I can practically hear them thinking "who's that with Hunter?"

"I have so many things I would rather be doing." I mutter.

"Like what?"

"Like watching Twilight or gouging my eyes out with a spoon."

Hunter looks hurt by my words and I feel the unfamiliar rush of regret.

"Why do you hate me?" She locks gazes with me as we stop walking, her eyes searching mine for answers.

"I don't hate you," I admit. "I just don't trust you."

Before she can ask why, a guy wolf whistles at us. "Stella! Should have known that you're a dyke, too!"