Chapter 20

When I wake up, I keep my eyes closed for a moment longer. Rose's breathing is back to normal. Last night I fell asleep listening to her take ragged breaths as though each movement hurt. She's healing. She'll be okay.

But what woke me up?

A quiet whimper hits my eardrums. I jolt up and whip my head towards the sound.

Rose, still unconscious, is grimacing. I can tell she's not in pain, so what is it. I take a deep breath and my nose twitches as the scent of salt floods my senses. She's sweating. Is she having a nightmare?

I slowly move towards her just in case her unconscious mind thinks of me as a threat. I really don't want to be punched again. I'm sore enough from yesterday.

Rose begins to thrash, muttering. "No, stop. What did I do? Why are you doing this to me? No!"

I shake the closest part of her body, her leg, and she gasps as her eyes fly open.

Her leg kicks out automatically, hitting me directly in the nose.

Damn it that hurts.

I groan and hold my hands up to it to catch the blood I can feel dripping down my face.

"Nice shot."

Apparently, Rose's nightmares woke up Hunter as well.

Rose's eyes dart around the room, taking everything in before they rest on my face. Her body relaxes and she sighs. "Sorry about that. It's just... bad memories."

The blood is stopping already thank you werewolf healing and I wipe my bloody hands off on my jeans. Pants, to me at least, are portable napkins that also protect creepers from seeing me naked. Very handy.

"Don't worry about it." My voice sounds different because of the nose thing and Hunter covers her laugh with a cough behind me. "How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good," Rose shrugs. I raise an eyebrow at her. "I've been hurt worse. They didn't like me even when I was a part of their pack."

I frown and mentally pat myself on the back for not joining that pack. They treat their own horribly... I bet I would have been a pet to them or something they would constantly best the crap out of.

"Do your ribs still hurt?"

"I can't really tell. How much pain killer did you give me?" Rose stares at her covered stomach, poking it with a confused expression.

"Not much. Maybe our systems accept medicine better or something."

"Does this mean we have to pull up her shirt again?" Hunter questions.

Rose gives me a wide eyes what? face and I feel myself blushing. "You were kind of out of it and we had to see how badly you were hurt."

"Um. Sure. Just don't pull it up too far."

I nod. I may like girls, but I would never do anything to make someone uncomfortable just because I like their anatomy. That's something some men need to learn.

I pull up her shirt, stopping right below where her bra begins. I can't help staring. Other than the fact that she has a freaking six pack (is that a werewolf thing? Where can I get one of those?) now that she doesn't have a ton of bruises and cuts, I can see that she's covered with scars.

"Whoa," I hear Hunter blurt behind me. "What the heck happened to you?"