Chapter 22

"That would be the assassin."

"You're kidding, right?" Hunter squeezes in between us and looks out at the figure at the edge of the woods. "Crap. Do we run?"

"I'm sick of fighting Shiba, but I will die before I let that sorry excuse for a she-wolf win." I growl. I turn and walk down the stairs, feeling Hunter and Rose behind me. "Rose, you should be resting. You could get hurt again."

"I don't care."

I reach the bottom of the stairs and spin so I meet her determined gaze. She's grimacing slightly and holding her ribs, but I can tell she won't back down.

"Fine. If you get hurt, I will say 'I told you so' alright?"

"Fine," Rose huffs.

I cautiously step out of the front door after opening it and nearly have a heart attack. The bloody assassin is right there. I clutch my chest and fight the urge to stumble back.

She's clothed in all black and her hood is pulled up over her face so I can't make out any features.

"We are not fighting inside." I jab a finger into the assassin's stomach. "I do not want to clean blood off my floor. Capisce?"

"I understand."

Whoa, who let this assassin woman have a Spanish accent.

"Let's get this over with." I push past her, smirking when I feel her stagger back a few steps after my shoulder hit hers.

"Roseanne, you have betrayed Shiba?"

"I stood up for myself and then joined Stella's pack." She slings an arm around me, giving the assassin a confident smile.

I can sense how her legs are trembling so I don't shrug her arm off.

"I am impressed. Since Akota, no one has had the guts."

Rose's eyes darken at her words. "Yeah."

"So how do you two know each other?" Hunter questions as she strolls up from behind us. "And who's this Akota?"

"Akota is...was my brother. He tried to run from Shiba, but she killed him. Roseanne here was his best friend and tried to convince him not to go. We mourned him together."

"It's Rose now. And how have you been?"

"Ah." The assassin gives Rose a half smile. "You finally are okay with people calling you your nickname he called you?"

"It hurt too much at first. " Rose admits, resting her head gently on my shoulder. I rub circles on her back. "And are you here to kill Stella? Because you know I won't let you."

The assassin chuckles. "Let? You know I could kill you with my hands tied behind my back and no weapons?"

"I know."

The assassin pauses and seems to study her. "Very well. I may not kill her. Though I may stick around for a bit to get to know this woman who has you wrapped around her finger." She stands there. "Are you not going to invite me in?"

"I wasn't aware that you're a vampire. I just want to know your name before I allow an assassin that was sent kill me into my house."

I think she nods. I can't really tell with the hood. "A reasonable request. I am Luciana."