Chapter 21

"What the heck happened to you?"

Rose fidgets, "I told you... My old pack didn't like me much. I was basically their punching bag. I didn't have the greatest home life before Shiba turned me three years ago. They figured that I've been beaten all my life, so they continued the tradition or whatever." She looks at me and I guess the horror I'm feeling is showing because she quickly adds, "It's in the past. Can't change it. Don't worry about it."

"If they come near you again, let me know and I'll kick their asses." My voice reflects the hatred that's burning my skin, going deep so my voice almost sounds like I'm growling.

"I don't care how much of a threat Shiba sees you as, you can't fight them all!" Rose sits up quickly and holds a hand to her head for a moment.

"A threat?" I question, frowning.

How am I a threat? She has a bunch of pack members that cower in fear when she so much as glances their way. How am I a threat to her?

"You have the potential to be what she calls a True Alpha, yes she got that from Teen Wolf, and being a True Alpha means you are a born leader and born to fit the role to do a specific thing or something. I'm not really sure. But she seems to think that you'll be her downfall."

"Awesome. So I'm a super wolf?"

"Not yet. I don't think so, at least. Your True Alphaness will come out at some point when you need it, which is why Shiba will likely try to kill you now that she knows you won't join her pack."

"At least that homicidal she-wolf finally gets that I'm not joining her and her pack of Neanderthals."

Something snaps and it rings in my ears. I grimace and walk to my window, throwing open the curtains like an actress in a bad movie. I squint against the light that's currently trying way too hard to temporarily blind me.

There's a small woman standing at the edge of the woods, staring up into my window. She's looking directly at me.

"What's up?" Hunter asks.

I tense for a moment. I forgot that I'm not alone. "There's this weird woman staring at me from the edge of the woods."

I hear Rose grunt and turn to see her getting up slowly, gritting her teeth.

"I'm fine," she gasps out.

I move so I'm directly beside her anyways, keeping close so if it's too much for her, I can pick her up and put her back on my bed. She slowly shuffles toward the window, peering out.

"Do you know who that is?"

Rose scowls, "That would be the assassin."