Chapter 52

WARNING! Graphic depiction of violence!!!!

I turn to Rose and focus my attention on her. I hold her hands in mine. Her hands are still shaking from the anxiety the fight caused her.

"I'm here. I'm okay." I reassure her quietly.

There's a rustling noise behind me, but I ignore it, thinking it must be some wild animal. It gets louder and sounds like it's coming toward Rose and me. I shove her to the side, hopefully out of harms way.

I lurch forward as something hits my back and suddenly I'm on the ground with dirt in my mouth. I spit it out and try to move, but I can't. I'm pinned by whatever knocked me down. A familiar growl sounds behind me and I sigh, my face pressed against the ground.

James' hot breath hits my cheek and my body tenses as I feel something stab into my back. I take a deep breath, my face screwing up in pain.

The weight is gone and I stand shakily. I spin around as fast as my body is able to. He's in his wolf form, but somehow still manages to smirk at me.

My teeth sharpen and my claws come out and I launch myself at him with everything I have. He goes sprawling and looks slightly scared, which I consider a victory.

I know my eyes are red. James is fighting his natural instinct to submit and I use this time to sink my fangs into his wolfy throat. A gurgling noise fills the air and blood bubbles up from the bite mark. I spit his blood on the ground, disgusted at the taste.

He shifts back to human form (sadly, he is naked. Ew) and stumbles. His hand is on his neck and blood seeps through his fingers. I think I hit an artery. There's so much blood it's almost like a bad horror movie. James collapses to his knees before falling to the ground, his eyes unseeing.

"Shit." Rose says behind me.

I immediately turn to her, studying her to see if she's hurt. I rush to her side.

"Are you hurt? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, really. But you just killed James. Which I'm totally fine with, but you're bleeding."

I flap a hand reassuringly. "Just a few scratches."

"No, Stella, you're bleeding. Not bad enough to have to go to the hospital, but it definitely isn't good. Come on, let's go home. I'll patch you up. Or, more likely, Dakota will."

I smile, still bewildered. I'm bleeding? Is it from when James literally stabbed me in the back? It was probably with his claws, but seriously. What a cliché.

Rose walks with me back home, refusing to let go of my hand. Luciana, Hunter and Dakota trail behind us.

Rose makes me lay down the minute we get back. I end up laying on the floor. Dakota walks toward me with a determined expression and a needle and string.